What is a fair price for a Gillette English Flat Bottom Tech?

I have read quite a few threads on the subject of vintage DE razors and have come to the conclusion that I'd really like to buy an Post War Brass English Flat Bottom Tech. It's good looking and seems to be a razor of renown for its build and shave quality.

Reading the various threads, I had hoped to nab one for around the £20-30 mark (including P&P). Ideally, I'd want it to be in a good to very good condition, mainly just no significant damage to the plating. I'm not too fussed about it having a case but I guess being in a better condition goes hand in hand with it having an original case so a lot of the ones I have bid on have had cases. Of the ones I have bid or offered on, those with cases have gone for £40-50 or more and those without somewhere in the £30-40 region.

I'm in no rush to buy one so I'm happy to wait for a fair to good deal and maybe one will come up on the BST here but could more experienced heads offer their opinions on what I should look to pay for one of these?

I have read quite a few threads on the subject of vintage DE razors and have come to the conclusion that I'd really like to buy an Post War Brass English Flat Bottom Tech. It's good looking and seems to be a razor of renown for its build and shave quality.

Reading the various threads, I had hoped to nab one for around the £20-30 mark (including P&P). Ideally, I'd want it to be in a good to very good condition, mainly just no significant damage to the plating. I'm not too fussed about it having a case but I guess being in a better condition goes hand in hand with it having an original case so a lot of the ones I have bid on have had cases. Of the ones I have bid or offered on, those with cases have gone for £40-50 or more and those without somewhere in the £30-40 region.

I'm in no rush to buy one so I'm happy to wait for a fair to good deal and maybe one will come up on the BST here but could more experienced heads offer their opinions on what I should look to pay for one of these?
You tend to get what you pay for, I've bought many flat bottom techs over the years and have paid_10.00 for one that looked like it had lived in a toolbox and I've spent £50.00 on one's that look new, you pays your money, you takes your choice.

Keep looking and just occasionally you find a gem for next to nothing but they are few and far between.

Paul.

I've bought a couple for around £20 quid each. The first had a broken box and some plating issues, the second is in very good condition and has a Bakelite case including blade holders in good condition.

If you're patient you'll eventually find some bargains

Back
Top Bottom