What I like so much about the shaving hobby

J23

See title. Just something I want to say.

To me the greatest pleasure comes from the fact that most any gear is great and good. For example my Wilkinson Classic and Omega S-Brush cost me about 10 euro total. Great shaves. Any other much more expensive razor and brush combination will have the same result. Same goes for soaps, creams, aftershaves etc. All is good. And no snobbery or elitism. Loving it all.

Have great weekend all!

This is true. I get the same satisfaction with most of my stuff, and it's not always the most expensive stuff that gives the best result or the most satisfaction. Some things are nice to own, although I don't really subscribe to that school of thought, and I would get bored if I only had one setup, but all things are good in the same way that all motorbikes are fun in one way or another. Enjoy the simple things.

Yup.

After 7 years back into DE shaving, following many decades of carts and electric, i just really enjoy having a DE shave now.

Have also come to realise it is mostly about prep + then go slow and steady with a consistent angle and a light touch.

Also, as said above, you dont need to spend big money. You can prep with a bar of soap + hot water, can get great lather with cheap synthetic brushes and cheap creams and also get a good shave with a cheap razor and affordable blades.

The razor + blade combo doesnt really make such a huge difference to the end result, imo, but I do appreciate the pleasure people obv get from using different shave equipment and soaps. There is a huge joy in getting it absolutely spot-on, with little or no touch-ups required.

I like my Merkur Progress for its ability to go real close , but i get perfectly acceptable shaves from my DE89 and many others (inc the venerable Wilko Sword plastic classic)

I never really think of it as a hobby, it's something what most men do ever so often.
But it's very satisfying going through the full monty of a proper shave. My wife often asks why I'm spending so much time on a shave. My response is that it's "me" pampering, and BTW if you do it slowly you're less likely to cut yourself.

Seen a few threads recently that mention the Wilkinson Sword Classic, so decided to dig out old faithfull and give her a spin tonight.

Used an Astra SP on its second shave and Proroso Green soap. It took me back to when i started DE shaving again in 2016 as it was one of the first razors i bought. Very mild and safe shave, once you have found the angle, which isnt so easy initially because of the big plastic safety bar.

Great shave overall, but not quite as close as i would like. You have to be impressed with it for the price tho and i always much preferred it to my Feather Popular.

20230915_214912.jpg

For me it’s really the time you take for yourself and the ritual of the soap lathering creation, then the pleasurable tactile effect of the brush full of lather gently stroking your face, and then the action of cleaning off the face of all the whiskers, getting fully clean and ‘ready’ to then finish with the splash or spray of a really nice scent. I mean, really few things manage to top this amazing experience eheh

...And no snobbery or elitism...

WgQHexc.jpg

I never really think of it as a hobby, it's something what most men do ever so often.
But it's very satisfying going through the full monty of a proper shave. My wife often asks why I'm spending so much time on a shave. My response is that it's "me" pampering, and BTW if you do it slowly you're less likely to cut yourself.

I look upon it the same way. Not a hobby but more something I like to do and enjoy the result.

I like the fact that it's a hobby that you "have" to do

My son would argue differently as he wears a beard and hates shaving, so probably takes away the 'Have'....

I disowned him years ago

Seen a few threads recently that mention the Wilkinson Sword Classic, so decided to dig out old faithfull and give her a spin tonight.

Used an Astra SP on its second shave and Proroso Green soap. It took me back to when i started DE shaving again in 2016 as it was one of the first razors i bought. Very mild and safe shave, once you have found the angle, which isnt so easy initially because of the big plastic safety bar.

Great shave overall, but not quite as close as i would like. You have to be impressed with it for the price tho and i always much preferred it to my Feather Popular.

View attachment 111236
Bought it 5 years ago when i switched from cart to DE shaving just to see if i still liked DE shaving.
Paid €3,90 incl. 5 Wilkinson blades and free shipping, it's now €6,95 + €1,99 shipping, still very cheap.

It's not really a hobby is it? Saying it is a hobby is like Women saying they enjoy collecting sanitary products and comparing how well they absorb.
It's just Men being Men. Typically obsessed with owning stuff. Be it Football, Fishing, Watches etc. We are just Men doing what Men have done for eons, all we do is justify spending a shed load on it because we can.

View attachment 111236
I had one of these but it's too lightweight.

Back
Top Bottom