What are you reading at the moment?

Because I deal a lot with heavy academic books/journals at work I tend to read lighter books for pleasure - mainly sci-fi and fantasy with a bit of contemporary thriller thrown in. Just finished reading Book 1 of the Dwarves series by Markus Heitz. Still deciding what to move on to now - might go for Carte Blanche by Jeffrey Deaver (a new James Bond book).

I bought a Kindle about 2 weeks ago after speaking to an "enabler" and to be honest, I think it's the best techy device since the ipod. I currently have about 70-75 of my favourite books on kindle and have just finished reading The Bourne Supremacy.

I still like to have books but the kindle it just too damn convenient.

Not a single regret in buying it..... except that the mrs now wants one for christmas.

Just finished The Runes Of The Earth (DTB) by Stephen Donaldson. Book one of the third trilogy in the Thomas Covenant cycle. On Kindle, I recently finished The Lord Of The Rings and also Odd John by Olaf Stapledon, the latter being one I had read a wee while ago in my pre-teens (ok, not such a wee while) and fondly remembered, so when I found it free (legally of course) I snapped it up. Still a cracking read.

Ainslie.

Just finished the Camilla Läckberg (The Preacher) which I recommend to anyone who likes the police procedural style of Mankell, Jungstedt et al. I'll be reading the rest of them, no doubt.

Which leaves me in need of a book, unless you count 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which I dip into now and again just in case there's any sign of a plot or plausible character developing. All suggestions gratefully received, preferably heavyweight. I feel a Faulkner coming on ...

In keeping with a certiain Nordic theme, Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow is the only such novel I have read.
In line with HM's recent read, I hope it gave full recognition to Dr. Jonas Salk who discovered the vaccine for polio, and gave it away for free.... 'There is no patent, could you patent the sun?'

I'm reading "The Sentinals: Fortunes of War" by Gordon Zukerman. It was a Kindle freebee, I still think I was overcharged! The characters are tissue thin, and the research done by the author is woefully inadequate. I've been very tempted to abandon the book but I think it is like watching a terrible film, you keep on watching just to see how bad it can get!

I won't be recommending it to anyone on here!

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. A nice bit of whimsy for people like me to feel all smug when spotting literary character in-jokes - even though your average Eng Lit. GCSE wallah would find considerably more, but just not feel the smugness!

All this to counter balance the Marlowe version of Dr. Faustus. Already read the (Thomas) Mann version - (spoiler alert) just a twist on the ending.

Am now eagerly awaiting the Michael Mann movie version - bikini clad ninja babes, explosions and car chases ahoy - starring Vin Diesel as Doc Fast-ust and Nic Cage's latest toupee as B.L.Z. Bubba.

moodymick said:
... Dr. Faustus. Already read the (Thomas) Mann version

Full marks for stamina, then.

Mikael nudged me into reading Three Men in a Boat - just finished. It looks like I've picked up Titus Groan again, which was inevitable since you can't move for Mervyn Peake at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom