What are you reading at the moment?

Glad you enjoyed the Ackroyd books S. - I'm taken by your description of 'Lud Heat' - but I'm not good with poetry - totally rubbish in fact. The result of a shit English teacher - who put me off for life. Sinclair-wise - I'd point you in the direction of 'Lights Out for the Territory' and 'London Overground' - the first was particularly impressive - his signature drawing together of the oddest of sources from an apparently simple premise - nothing of course - is really simple in his world. You should check out - 'Strange Labyrinth' by Will Ashon - not as hardcore as Sinclair but in the same sphere - it was sent to me by @Barry Giddens - who I'm sure would second the recommendation. I'm over half way through 'Jocks' - and enjoying it - I'll reserve fuller comment until I finish it - cheers - I.

Last edited:

Many thanks, Iain. I'll keep those in mind.

Best,

S.

So I'm not much of a reader... And after looking through some of the last 10 pages of what some of you guys are reading, I'm pretty ashamed to say I'm only reading a John Grisham novel, "The Appeal"
Like I said.... Not much of a reader.
Each to their own mate - I think the activity is - in some ways - more important than what we read - John Grisham isn't a multi-millionaire for no reason. Yours - I.

Yep. I certainly second that recommendation.

Some fabulous reading there Stephen. I haven't actually read ‘Lud Heat' - I'll have to give it a go. ‘White Chapel, Scarlet Tracings' is, from memory, excellent. Yet more Hawksmoor references. In fact that part of London, around Spitalfields and Whitechapel, is endlessly fascinating. I revisited it for the first time in years recently. The old Huguenot houses have been gentrified, and it's hard not to get swallowed up by a group of Americans on a ‘Ripper' tour, but the area is still a magnet for transitory and marginal characters. There's a palpable sense of history repeating itself, or overlapping. Hard to avoid the flocks of hipsters too.

I'm not often in London, Barry; but I would love to visit the Hawksmoor churches.