What are you reading at the moment?

Thanks C. -
'Jocks' just ordered. I look forward to it. If you are ever around Doune - the David Stirling monument is just at the edge of the village - and is a magnificent spot - a glorious view on a good day. I'd suggest to anyone - 'My Early Years' by Winston Churchill - him from 0 to 25 - fascinating and very funny - people forget he was a journalist - he knows how to tell a good tale - his bafflement during his very expensive schooling - joining the Horse Guards regiment - at that time the officers had to keep - at their own expense - two teams of polo ponies at all times - being permanently skint - despite being from one of the wealthiest families in Britain - an eye witness to the last cavalry charge by the British army - Omdurman - his impressions of the North West Frontier - of then - India - being taken prisoner and escaping during the Boer war. It rips along - well worth a look. Cheers - I.

I also ordered 'with the Jocks 'earlier today on Chris's recommendation.
Bloody book worm enablers...

@Barry Giddens - never heard of her mate - I shall look her up - two things spring to mind - first - the cover looks like the background to one of your sotd pics - secondly - does this have anything to do with Granta? Ha ha ha ha - I.
Ha! No Iain, good old Penguin. It's a bit of a change of pace after Grossman. It's literaly one of those ‘Hampstead Novels ‘. She writes so well though. My other half's favourite novelist so I best not offer any criticism.

@Digimonkey Hi, please let me know what you think of With the Jocks; will remember about Doune next time I'm round that part of the world; SWMBO and I are planning to to Go Ape later on in the year, which is not that far away.

All the best,

Chris

Is that your first Ackroyd Stephen? @Digimonkey and I are both admirers of his work.

Hi Barry,

No; I'm a big Ackroyd fan. I just finished re-reading Hawksmoor before The House. I first came across him via Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem a good few years ago and thought that the title alone begged a read.

Since then, I think I've read a fair amount of his work. I especially like the transitional nature of his writing; the way he disrupts the idea of time as a linear concept in Hawksmoor and Dee, for instance.

I need to get a hold of his take on The Canterbury Tales soon. Then take about 2 months to re-read London: The Biography .

Ones on the ‘to read' list include The Great Fire of London and The Last Testament of Oscar Wilde.

Last edited:
Evening Stephen,

I had the same route in to Ackroyd as you. Dan Leno and the Limehouse Golem - what a title! I'm also drawn to him for similar reasons to you. Pyschogeography and the dissolution of boundaries. London: The Biography certainly warrants a re-read, but it's finding the time.

Have you read any Iain Sinclair or Allan Moore?

I haven't read Allan Moore, but Sinclair's Lud Heat inspired Ackroyd to script the mystical and cosmic placing of Dyer/Hawksmoor's churches, so it would be good to read him. What do you recommend from Moore?