What are you reading at the moment?

On that thought - @Barry Giddens - Ferdinand Magellan - b.1480 d.1521 - Portuguese but sailing under a Spanish flag - much like Columbus - Genoise , but commissioned by the Spanish - is generally credited with the first circumnavigation of the globe but he didn't, he died on route - after picking an ill judged fight with the locals in the Philippines. Idiot. Much like Cook elsewhere later. The first person to properly do the circumnavigation was Juan Sebastian D'Elcano - the Victoria's master - a Basque. He was one of 18 survivors of the original crew of the flotilla's 231 sailors. I.

Iain. Is this information all stored away in your bonce? Remarkable.
I'm going to bed. Leave me a clue to the Basque word. I will think about it on the way to work.

Iain. Is this information all stored away in your bonce? Remarkable.
I'm going to bed. Leave me a clue to the Basque word. I will think about it on the way to work.

Although Basque - this person came to prominence in the French ancien regime. He was the finance minister - tasked with cost cutting and became associated with penury. Voltaire hated him - fair enough - Voltaire was an idiot in my opinion. His name became connected to an austere or parsimonious form of art depiction. This is a bit like 'Round Britain Quiz?' yours - I.

It's anchovy, is't it? No, wait: can only be bizarre. Or maybe, just could be, the word Iain, which I know is Hungarian and every school boy knows the Basque and Hungarian languages are similar. But then again Iain is found also in Old Icelandic so I remain a little confused.

Did you know the Basque sculls are shaped differently than any other people's skulls? And finally, when Cristobal Colon discovered Miami he found a Basque cruise liner already there. Those boys did get around.

Last edited:
It is rare for a person who is be gifted in the visual arts to also be so intellectually curious and have the writing skills and talent to pursue those interests. Not saying the two are mutually exclusive, but you don't bump into it everyday and you seem to have an abundance of ability in both areas. Typically, when us members of the Brotherhood of Unfulfilled Early Promise were starting to fade into the twilight of our mediocre careers, you were just blossoming.

Very nicely put William. I wholeheartedly agree.

Thank you William - I'm humbled - yours - I.

Parsimony?

B - Silhouette. From Etienne de Silhouette - French finance minister b.4/1709 - d.1/1767. Born in France but of Basque stock. I take your point @William Dobson about anchovy and bizarre - but they were taken up in English from - respectively - Portuguese and French. Anchoas or boquerones - in Spanish - one of my most favourite things to eat in the world. Boquerones fritas - si - me gustara. Yours - I.

Thanks for putting me out of my misery Iain. I could have been here until Next December and not got that.
Have you read ‘Lanark'? I heard an old interview with Alasdaire Gray on the radio the other day. Interesting character.

Have you read ‘Lanark'?

Yes B. - I've photographed him also - he is in person a carnaptious old goat. Deeply difficult. The pub I was in tonight - the Ubiquitous Chip - is decorated with murals he painted. He did the grand sweep - but a friend of mine - did the details. Shirley. She did the hands, eyes and faces. They did the same thing in another pub called Oran Mor - at the top of Byres Road. A converted church. As I say - Gray was a total w****r in my experience of meeting him but astonishingly talented none the less. I studied with his partner for a while at Uni - she was much younger than him - she was very bright. You didn't say whether you had read 'Lanark,' - the dystopians' dystopia. Without giving the plot away - the drones are fed the gelatinous remains of their contemporaries. Huxley or indeed Orwell on acid. Yours - I.

Last edited:
I haven't Iain. It's been on my radar for years, but I have never got round to reading it.