What are you listening to?

Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar On Me

I'm playing their Greatest Hits album again. This rousing little track is one of my favourites from the album.

I love this band. They were one of the first 10 or so albums I ever bought, I remember buying a counterfeit copy of Soup in India in December 1995 when I went out there to visit family.

I occasionally spend some time watching some of their live videos, and it struck me how intense a frontman Shannon Hoon was, at times he looked like he was performing like it was last days on this earth, which they turned out to be, as he died before the album was released.

I was only a kid when the grunge wave hit, and there's a lot of nostalgia for it now, but looking back I don't think it was a brand new movement as some suggested (if there was one considering the collection of bands who banded together were quite diverse in sound) but they were continuing the tradition of American songwriting being honest and forthright in the subject matter of their lyrics, which existed before there were grunge bands and after.

And with this ramble, I will end with a song from the great Lead Belly singing a song that would later be covered by Nirvana

A lie, I will add one this is the last. It's too good to not share again.

The Seekers - Georgy Girl

I am currently paying my own personal tribute to the late Judith Durham, who sadly passed away recently. I always thought that she had one of the best voices of the 1960s. She was also opera-trained, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom