What are you listening to?

This is well worth 30mins on Remembrance Sunday....

Hiya doin Richard,

Luckily, my dad was a big Kipling fan and so I was exposed to some of his writing early on. Poems like Danny Deever and Road to Mandalay and Gunga Din were some favorites, plus I enjoyed some of his stories too. Ones like Mark of the Beast and The Man Who Would Be King (excellent movie) for example were quite entertaining among others. I liked what you posted, one I hadn't read.

I'll include one of his poems you and many others would know that's put to music and sung by Lawrence Tibbett (favorite version) from an obscure old album. My dad usta play a different Tibbett album from that era.......78 rpm record of course.. See whatcha think.

Probably my favorite poet/writer is a Canuck named Robert Service. Lots of writing about the Frozen North adventures out in that special wilderness. Plenty of WW1 related subject stuff too, including some of my favorite poems. Let me just also include one song by him with none other than Country Joe McDonald doing the work on vocals and 12 string guitar. Only war songs on this album that are musical poems.

I think some of youse guys might find it pleasant and there's a separate link to the lyrics. The whole album's here I think.

Martin

Last edited:
The Very Best Of Ub40 1980-2000

I bought this CD recently from my local HMV. It only cost me £4.99, but it originally came out in 2000, so I wouldn't expect to pay full price for it. It has some crackin' tunes on there, and they are a local band to me, so I have always been loyal to them. A lot of people do seem to enjoy knocking them, but I'd rather listen to them than a lot of other modern crap.

Back
Top Bottom