What are you eating tonight?

I don't often post in this food section, but I am tonight. Although it could go in the What made your day a good one?

I did my neighbour a small favour this morning and he just brought me a roast chicken dinner that his Mrs just made.
Tonight fellas, I shall be munching this (he even brought the little pud!)
View attachment 97682
I want to try one of those traditional English roast meals.

That looks really good.

Went to a Vietnamese restaurant the other day. Had a bowl of Pho there. They make the best Pho in town. IMO

Here is a picture of it21EABD75-0E67-40E4-8646-733DC5752E8A.jpeg

One of the things I forgot to mention in my introduction is that I’m a bit of a foodie.

So I’m glad to find this thread here. More pictures of my eats will be coming.

Last edited:
Went to try the 'new' carbonara pizza in PX but the waiter said if you like cheese you gotta try the quattro formaggi with chili jam. So he talked me out of their new signature offering onto something that wasn't even on the menu, he said there are certain 'secret pizzas, if you know you know'. Then when he brought it he said the pizzaiolo gave him a bollocking as apparently they're more work to make! Anyway it was very very good. The chili jam balanced the blue cheese component perfectly. If you are tempted to ask for one, make sure the place is at least half empty though...

Have to say, chilli jam and blue cheese is an excellent pairing, have had it a fair few times, never on a pizza though.(y)

I’d like to try that on a pizza as well. I can eat up some blue cheese and chili jam sounds like a good combo.

Never seen a blue cheese pizza on a menu here in the USA. Need to see if I can find a place that does.

Hiya,

Recently I decided to defrost a good sized capon and bake it instead of using it in soup making. Personally, I love boiled chicken as much as fried but it ain't for everyone. Baked is down on my list of prep but not a big deal. Each year just before Christmas one local store orders em, along with ducks and geese. I grew up having capon a bunch but always in soup.

This one weighed eight pounds which is about a medium/close to large size. There was a noticeable taste difference compared to a non doctored with (and much younger) chicken. Definitely easy to tell, though the flavor was somehow softer and subtle. It had a kinda refined tasteI enjoyed more than chicken done that way. Surprised me a bit. Texture was excellent, perfectly done and juicy after a rest.

Now, the kicker is almost no one sells em except by mail during the year. There's I believe one very large capon farm and maybe a few tiny ones but stores in the USA don't have em stocked. Ordering is something to avoid because they are expensive and hard to justify. A bird's weight used here would run about $100 or so....maybe more.

However, the store near me orders direct from that large company and offers customers a great price, so the same bird at their store was $25. Pretty amazing. Maybe someone's selling em out by you.

Martin

Happy Haggis Night!

AMWts8Bo9J-aYV4QjEZerOpwiUlTfsj6WZ2jrM4ILwvrnH3cc31cr4E0qywqhxOpp3dJPsIB_iTH7wV65AR_9qywVEiIIYrBBC8LooEy2FetkDHO8ELl2sxClqXOd67U7Eu7ak4WtI_Y9vyNhpqar1ED3Z2VwA=s800

Tonight, Wednesday, I had sausage (Linda McCartney), mash and tinned spaghetti. My wife prepared it. The next three nights I shall cook.
Thursday - salad, baked potato and cottage cheese. Friday, Pizza and chips. Saturday - curry. I always let the wife do the rice, or else it would be overcooked whilst I was doing the sauce. I like teamwork, and she likes my curry.

Regarding the chips, I've been using potatoes from Lidl, and they were disgusting - funny grey bits throughout. It took ages to cut out the inedible bits. Now I've gone over to Home Bargains potatoes. Same price as Lidl, £3.50 for 7.5 kilos, and they are wonderful.

Swedish meatballs (Tesco freezer) with homemade IKEA sauce following online recipe .
Mash and veg.

Curious on the sauce recipe ... purely out of interest. I usually just make up a thick Chicken Bisto and drop in some double cream.

I have a red cabbage sitting there bereft of ideas other than slaw for wraps, but long-cooked with wine and a dash on vinegar it'll be perfect with some Swedish-style meatballs. Good idea!

It's quite laborious to make, and if you do see it on a menu then often it's £££ and 24h notice/minimum no of diners. We had beef Wellington at Christmas because a mate of mine is a good cook and all round good guy. Ironically it wasn't venison because he is involved in estate management and is my source of fresh venison normally. I jokingly asked him whether he shot the cow, he said there was no way he'd get one in the boot (trunk). Tasted great!

Back
Top Bottom