What are you eating tonight?

The Hotmetalette loves sobresada. We have only been to Tenerife once, and happened to bump into some friends from Switzerland who were there coincidentally. We stuffed ourselves with fish at the Cofradía de Pescadores.

Last edited:
Ideally potatoes from Tenerife - they do a version in Palma Majorca that uses sobrasada instead of chorizo - if you ever see it - well worth eating. Tenerife potatoes boiled in their skins - the real things are - relatively, compared to your King Edward - tiny, you can't practically peel them - they are the oldest potatoes eaten in Europe from a genetic point of view - straight off the boat from the conquistadors and little interbred since. Served with an indecent amount of sea salt and good oil poured over to taste. Disfruta de tu comida - I. ;)

I need to find those potatoes.

I wonder if you can get seeds in the UK. If you can I will try to grow some.

Sausage, bacon, egg and chips.
Just finished making 2 kg sausages, (1kg pork and leek and 1kg plain pork).1.5 kg maple smoked bacon and a litre jar of fermented chilli sauce.
Used the last of the sausage and bacon out the freezer so made some more.
Also I had 2 tubs of chillies in the freezer, so I looked for a recipe. Will take about a week to find out if the ferment went ok, it should be fine as I have made cracking sauerkraut before and it's the same technique

Went to try the 'new' carbonara pizza in PX but the waiter said if you like cheese you gotta try the quattro formaggi with chili jam. So he talked me out of their new signature offering onto something that wasn't even on the menu, he said there are certain 'secret pizzas, if you know you know'. Then when he brought it he said the pizzaiolo gave him a bollocking as apparently they're more work to make! Anyway it was very very good. The chili jam balanced the blue cheese component perfectly. If you are tempted to ask for one, make sure the place is at least half empty though...

Went to try the 'new' carbonara pizza in PX but the waiter said if you like cheese you gotta try the quattro formaggi with chili jam. So he talked me out of their new signature offering onto something that wasn't even on the menu, he said there are certain 'secret pizzas, if you know you know'. Then when he brought it he said the pizzaiolo gave him a bollocking as apparently they're more work to make! Anyway it was very very good. The chili jam balanced the blue cheese component perfectly. If you are tempted to ask for one, make sure the place is at least half empty though...
Have to say, chilli jam and blue cheese is an excellent pairing, have had it a fair few times, never on a pizza though.(y)

I just had to Google it and yes it's a Middlesbrough thing and so called because it's based on 'escalope Parmesan'. I don't think we'll get them down here so I'll probably be having a go at making one. Although might get proper chips from the chippy, not sure I can start trying to deep fry my own fries.

Down here if you want a guilty pleasure it'll be a filthy 'elephant's leg' doner meat on chips for a fiver from the chippy or find your nearest "German Turkish" (is a thing and finally taking off down here) and get yourself a lahmaçun stuffed with chicken or beef doner meat. And fries for good measure! Which is more like a tenner but the better option if available.

Last edited:
Potd-27-11-22.png

@jimmyc - fresh venison supply! Minded to make venison seekh kebab but ended up making them burger shape for convenience. Same thing - different shape.

100% Ground venison (no added fat or rusk) flavoured with cracked coriander seeds and green pepper corns, ancho, arbol, habanero, Kashmiri & chipotle chilli flakes, cumin, thyme, oregano, dried mint, salt and black pepper.

Put it all in a bowl, crack an egg into it and the juice of a lemon or lime. Mix well with your bare hands. Chill minimum 5 hours but best covered over night. Shape them and chill again for an hour.

Serve with warm burger buns and whatever you like. As kebabs, with a pilaf rice and yogurt dressing. There is no after picture. They didn't last long enough. :). cheers - I.

View attachment 96837

@jimmyc - fresh venison supply! Minded to make venison seekh kebab but ended up making them burger shape for convenience. Same thing - different shape.

100% Ground venison (no added fat or rusk) flavoured with cracked coriander seeds and green pepper corns, ancho, arbol, habanero, Kashmiri & chipotle chilli flakes, cumin, thyme, oregano, dried mint, salt and black pepper.1

Put it all in a bowl, crack an egg into it and the juice of a lemon or lime. Mix well with your bare hands. Chill minimum 5 hours but best covered over night. Shape them and chill again for an hour.

Serve with warm burger buns and whatever you like. As kebabs, with a pilaf rice and yogurt dressing. There is no after picture. They didn't last long enough. :). cheers - I.
They look fantastic.(y)

They look fantastic.(y)
Oh - forgot to list the grated white onion in the above recipe. :rolleyes:

#whattodowithgroundmeat - long story short, I inherited a South African/Botswanan flat mate for a while earlier this year - he introduced me to bobotie - it's basically mince and tatties or haggis and neeps for Southern Africans - childhood comfort food. I'd never eaten anything like it - delicious. Traditionally mutton is used but any ground meat will do although because of the dish's origin, pork isn't common. The first version is copied from his gran's cookbook in Cape Town. When it says curry powder - it means a Cape Malay mix but I guess any would do. Err on the side of sweet/fruity. The second is a venison take on the recipe, which I can attest is delicious. See what you think? Cheers - I.

Potd-28-11-22.png

Last edited:
Oh - forgot to list the grated white onion in the above recipe. :rolleyes:

#whattodowithgroundmeat - long story short, I inherited a South African/Botswanan flat mate for a while earlier this year - he introduced me to bobotie - it's basically mince and tatties or haggis and neeps for Southern Africans - childhood comfort food. I'd never eaten anything like it - delicious. Traditionally mutton is used but any ground meat will do although because of the dish's origin, pork isn't common. The first version is copied from his gran's cookbook in Cape Town. When it says curry powder - it means a Cape Malay mix but I guess any would do. Err on the side of sweet/fruity. The second is a venison take on the recipe, which I can attest is delicious. See what you think? Cheers - I.

View attachment 96845

This looks great, I'd cook it if I could

(I can't eat meat any more ):(

Back
Top Bottom