What am I doing wrong? Wool Fat.... New to DE

I've got a Parker silver tip badger, a couple of omega boar and a simpsons chubby 2 synthetic. The synthetic is great but I've mainly been using the boar with MWF as it's stiffer so picks up more soap.

Is all this heat retention lark REALLY that important or just internet bull? At the end of the day it's hot water and a brush. You could probably use a paint brush and get the same results.
It's a non-issue for me. My shaving water (pre, during and post) is cold, straight from the tap.

Scotshaves, have we been hoisted by our own petard? As far as your face lathering with synth, I would bow to your
experience, as mine is limited by my singular use, as described above.
As for tomstephens89, I personally find that heat retention is only important if you plan on doing a multi pass shave.
That's why I use a synth brush for one pass work shaves. I don't want to spend the time soaking a brush.
I run it under warm water, whip up a lather, do a pass and I'm done.
And as far as a paint brush, that is precisely what a fan badger brush does.
Look on Simpson's site, they tell you not to push down on the knot, and instead, paint it on your face.

Badger hair doesn't absorb water? I've got a Simpson capt.2 in best, not only does it absorb water
it will absorb most of the water. When I take my brush out of the water, I squeeze it about halfway up the knot
And water pours out. That's why they are such lather hogs. Now boar does not absorb water, (that's) why they don't
retain heat as well. A cursory glance at a shave video will show you the absorption properties of badger.
What say the members who own a badger brush?

Chris is right, badgers don't absorb water, well they do to a degree but most gets trapped between the hairs.... Whilst boars definitely do absorb water as the bristles are completely hollow.

I'm heading to bed so can't be arsed providing links or citations but do a google and you'll see (y)

Tom, I would suggest putting the Mitchell's away in a drawer for 6 months and try again at a later date. Many products I didn't get on with when I was new to this game I tried later on and found to be rather good. I know it's just swirling a brush in soap and water but there does seem to be a degree of technique involved which only comes with time and practice...This is compounded by the fact you're comparing it to a cream which requires no technique at all, TOBS is universally recommended to beginners for good reason.

Badger hair doesn't absorb water? I've got a Simpson capt.2 in best, not only does it absorb water
it will absorb most of the water. When I take my brush out of the water, I squeeze it about halfway up the knot
And water pours out. That's why they are such lather hogs. Now boar does not absorb water, (that's) why they don't
retain heat as well. A cursory glance at a shave video will show you the absorption properties of badger.
What say the members who own a badger brush?

As @Rohleder pointed out, I'm not talking about the knot holding water, I'm talking about the fibres absorbing it which is not the same thing. Boars need to be soaked so that the bristles absorb water and soften, otherwise you can get them breaking off. As badger hair does not absorb water you can fill the knot by slooshing it in the sink for a few seconds, it'll hold a ton but it's not absorbing it and soaking it for longer won't achieve anything.

If you don't believe me Google it yourself.

Chris is right, badgers don't absorb water, well they do to a degree but most gets trapped between the hairs.... Whilst boars definitely do absorb water as the bristles are completely hollow.

I'm heading to bed so can't be arsed providing links or citations but do a google and you'll see (y)

Tom, I would suggest putting the Mitchell's away in a drawer for 6 months and try again at a later date. Many products I didn't get on with when I was new to this game I tried later on and found to be rather good. I know it's just swirling a brush in soap and water but there does seem to be a degree of technique involved which only comes with time and practice...This is compounded by the fact you're comparing it to a cream which requires no technique at all, TOBS is universally recommended to beginners for good reason.

I do seem to making headway in the technique required for MWF, but as you say, I need to stop comparing it to a cream which is difficulty level 1.

I will try a good bowl lather tonight but with my drier loading technique that yielded better results last time even with a face lather.

So had a shave this evening with the fat again and this time BEST LATHER YET! I managed to whip up a thick creamy lather. I used my Simpson's Chubby 2 Synthetic and a stainless bowl. I did bloom the soap for 10 mins whilst in the shower this time. Whilst working the lather I added two ‘fingertip sprinkles of water'.

Happily it painted on nice and thick, and I have enough for 3 passes easily. I do find that when I rinse my face between passes then re lather onto a very wet face that the lather is thinner, but still good, infact probably slicker than the first pass which suggests to me I can use more water in the bowl to get the lather ‘wetter'.

I am pleased with myself, clear progress.

Also used a feather in my 34C for the first time tonight, smooth shave, but I swear the Astra SP cuts better/closer.

So today's shave, with the fat and OH MY GOD IVE DONE IT HORRRAAAAYYYYY.

The method that works for me is basically, soak it whilst in the shower, then load like a beast for 30 secs with a medium wet brush (only shake out the excess), then bowl lather. When in the bowl, I found the magic water/soap ratio to be a very scientific 3 x fingertip sprinklings.

I seriously think (that's) all there is to the fat.

1. Soften the puck by blooming it for 10 mins.
2. Load real heavy.
3. Work it like a BEAST in the bowl.
4. Water ratio. This soap needs water, add a sprinkling at a time, and just when you think it's there, add a little more and BOOM the lather monster comes alive.

Slickest shave yet!! The attaches pictures are before I added the final sprinkling of water as well, it really came alive after that.

82A70F6A-78AA-44B2-8DDB-7E866AFD5851.jpeg

1871188E-855D-40E9-AF1D-E49F8F9F6941.jpeg

So today's shave, with the fat and OH MY GOD IVE DONE IT HORRRAAAAYYYYY.

The method that works for me is basically, soak it whilst in the shower, then load like a beast for 30 secs with a medium wet brush (only shake out the excess), then bowl lather. When in the bowl, I found the magic water/soap ratio to be a very scientific 3 x fingertip sprinklings.

I seriously think (that's) all there is to the fat.

1. Soften the puck by blooming it for 10 mins.
2. Load real heavy.
3. Work it like a BEAST in the bowl.
4. Water ratio. This soap needs water, add a sprinkling at a time, and just when you think it's there, add a little more and BOOM the lather monster comes alive.

Slickest shave yet!! The attaches pictures are before I added the final sprinkling of water as well, it really came alive after that.

View attachment 51770

View attachment 51771
How was the shave? Was it worth all this effort in comparison to the cream you like?

Three fingertip sprinkles ... that sounds about right. Also known as "one Mitchell's worth".

I'm really glad you've cracked it. It will only get better from now on as you refine that technique. Happy shaving! MWF really is a lovely soap.

I have read now on numerous sites that MWF needs a shed load of water, including a guy on badger and blade who has been using MWF for 10 years and says the same thing to anyone having problems, MORE WATER.

I am under the impression now that I should probably add even more water and see if that gets it to make the transition from a lighter airy foam like lather to more whipped yoghurt style.

How was the shave? Was it worth all this effort in comparison to the cream you like?

Id say so, I mean it's not night and day, but it was very very slick, the slickest lubrication I have had. My experience up until now clearly didn't get the best out of MWF, the lather was too dry and I was doubting whether it was worth the effort. But now however I feel that it may well be.

My skin seems to like the effect of lanolin products hence me sticking with it.

I'm really pleased you stuck with it Tom. As with a lot of things like razor and blade choices sometimes you have to just experiment with what works for you. Wet shaving would be boring if we all had the same opinions. I'm sure your skin will benefit from the fantastic moisturising properties.

So tonights shave was the best yet. I followed the same procedure with lathering MWF before except this time I added another sprinkle n a bit of water and damnnnnnn the lather really comes alive. Becomes very very slick and there's loads of it in the bowl.

Seems I have cracked it. Plenty of water, more than you might think, and all of a sudden BOOM there it is.

Next time I'm going to use some more water again and find the breaking point, then I think I'll find the sweet spot of maximum slickness but it's already very good.

It's been a good read this thread.

MWF seems to be one of those soaps to try before you die. As someone mentioned, the fact there are so many people struggling to lather, it should be avoided. Yet people still seem to want to persevere. Probably a good training ground, learn to lather MWF then you can lather anything. I keep meaning to get a puck, but always decide to stick to TOBS creams. As also mentioned beginner level 1, MWF level 10.

@tomstephens89 would you say, that getting the brush loaded sufficiently to start with was an issue to start with.

Back
Top Bottom