Well... I had to try a Weishi

Fascination got the better of me. I just wanted to try a Weishi DE to prove to myself what they were really like.

I got the two tone one - 9306D (Ebay, from barberblades2010 at £12.99)
He even threw in a couple of freebie packs of blades, including 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge yellow Russian and some Derby. (In addition to the blades that came in the case with it).

weishi1.jpg

First impressions:
hmmm... this is well made, and doesn't look like a "cheap" razor. I particularly like the two tone, (I selected that one basically because it would look "different" on the stand with my other DE razors) ... a matt gold on the doors of the head and twist ring, and a shiny "silver" coloured handle.

Tonight I shaved with it.

I tried to keep other things standardised, so I used my regular brush and soap, and a one day used already 7 O'clock Sharp Edge blade. 3 pass shave.

Frankly, I was impressed. It was a little more aggressive than my Fatboy on the 5 setting, but only a little. Less aggressive than the old Gillette '55 Superspeed. And surprisingly (personal viewpoint, I know) much nicer to shave with than the Merkur 38C. (OK, bite me). :blush:

OK, it isn't in the same league as the Fatboy or Superspeed. But I found it to be very good. Not just quite good, or satisfactory. Very good.

As I write, I keep breaking off to feel my silky smooth face.
I like that razor.

So... I have now tried it for myself, and I now wonder why it receives a lukewarm reputation from DE enthusiasts.

Rod

having had two of these:
#1 was fine. I gave it to a friend as a gift, thinking I could easily get a new one.
#2 was awful. After 5 bodged shaves it found a bin where it could hide. Doors would not close straight etc. Blade alignment not good.

So if you have a good one, I found it a really nice razor. You just dont know if you'll get a good one.

/m

I like weishi's as well . Perhaps the quality control has improved on them ? I've got three of them (got them as a job lot on ebay) and no mechanical problems with any of them.

Mine is the aluminium one. Seems quite well built. Very mild shave - I have to use the most aggressive blades to get a shave in less than six passes. But I by far favour a sharp blade.

Back
Top Bottom