Waterproofing my D.R. Harris/GFT/T&H wooden bowls

Wanting to waterproof both the wood and the stickers and paper ribbons (DR Harris bowls) using an oil-based clear gloss polyurethane spray. Would one coat be enough or would two coats be better?

I applied 2-3 coats (3 coats on my DR Harris bowls). Really glad I did as the 3 coats really brought out the color and grain of the wood of the D.R. Harris bowls and sealed in the stickers and paper ribbons. I'm happy with the result. Now I need to figure out if I need to sand the inside of the bowls before applying the tung oil?

I applied 2-3 coats (3 coats on my DR Harris bowls). Really glad I did as the 3 coats really brought out the color and grain of the wood of the D.R. Harris bowls and sealed in the stickers and paper ribbons. I'm happy with the result. Now I need to figure out if I need to sand the inside of the bowls before applying the tung oil?
I think tung oil is far bare wood. The polyurethane will have sealed the bowls as it is so no need.

No offence but I think you’re overthinking this. Just look at fences made from wood. They last decades outside in the cold, rain, storm and heat. Use some common sense and dry them after use and they’ll be fine.

No offence but I think you’re overthinking this. Just look at fences made from wood. They last decades outside in the cold, rain, storm and heat. Use some common sense and dry them after use and they’ll be fine.
To be fair, wood used outside is usually treated to withstand the weather, so maybe using lacquer might be a good idea.

I ended up spraying polyurethane to the outside of the bowls and applied tung oil to the underside of the lids and the insides of the bowls.

Back
Top Bottom