Water softeners

Anyone fitted one?

Just back from a week away in Wales, and the water was soooo soft. Makes a big differance with the soap and lather. Was thinking about fitting one.
Any suggestions and do they work well?

Or should i move a bit closer to the sheep.

We've got one, it was fitted some time ago so I can't say how it's improved my lathering. I don't think it softens loads but gets the water to a sort of 'average'. I do notice that taps etc. fur up a lot less than before. Downsides are that you need to drink out of a separate drinking water tap and of course there's the ongoing cost of the salt. But I assume that offsets the cost of replacing shower heads and washing machines. I can say that the lather I can achieve is very decent except with MWF!!

Strange you should mention MWF it's my favoured soap at the moment, i never have a problem with the lather on it. Perhaps i should re-think this one.
I never tried MWF in Wales, used Palmolive cream. So it must be the water hardness that affects it.

Had one in the house when we lived in Wycombe many years ago.
Big tank for the salt, or we had anyhow, plus cost of salt but the difference to the water was very noticeable and of course no build up in diswasher and kettles etc.
Hate to think what hard water does to the pipes and radiators in a house?
regards, beejay

We've used a water softener since 1999 and really like it. We normally use Potassium Chloride.

Might want to try a whole house filter too. We have one of those as well, and it takes most of the chlorine and other sediments out of the water. No more smelling like a public swimming pool :D

@Beejay: Our house is a 1956 brick rancher and is equipped with galvanized pipe. Cut into it to install the water softener and HOLY COW!!! My 3/4" pipe was about halfway clogged with deposits.

I highly recommend putting a whole house filter prior to your water heater to reduce sediment build up inside the tank.

Back
Top Bottom