water marks after 3 uses ( Ralf Aust )

I agree, when you've treated everything carefully and you get rewarded with a horrible water rash like that it sucks.

I have experience of this with a brand new Boker, Revisor and Hart steel (satin) razors. First time shave - water spots despite following my usual routine of wiping between passes on towel and with tissue at the end of the shave (making sure I'm wiping along the bevel) + stropping linen then leather. I removed the water spots with polish (autosol) and all was good from then on with the Boker and Revisor. The Hart was a water spot magnet until I treated it with a "Tuf Cloth". All of these needed a visit to the stones after the polishing to get them back to tip top condition.

I figure that my existing razors are ok following my standard routine - which eliminates reactions caused by pH of Soap, alum etc the only difference was that it was new - so maybe some kind of chemical in the factory oil / surface coating was still present after the initial clean and strop and reacted with the first shave use. Who knows.

I really hope this becomes a non issue for you as that looks like a beautiful razor. All the best.

MPH - the "effort" is what makes straight razor shaving so rewarding and so much fun! Give it a go!

Well said

I have a friend who has one of the best collections of razors imaginable and he routinely gives all his razors, new and vintage, a wipe with Autosol when he first gets them and after that they just get dried and put away as normal. I've not tried it but he knows his stuff and swears by it.

New razors will always be more prone to staining. Once they develop a patina they tend to become less reactive. By patina I don't mean black spots or rust, just when they lose their initial brightness.

That's interesting what you said about having to take the blades to the stones after the polish because I'm happy to report after I cleaned the blade up with polish last night and I used it today there has been no reappearance of the black marring. There is still some slight shadowing from where the black marks were but i can live with that. However I didn't feel it wasn't as sharp and as smooth as the last time I used it. I may pay a visit to the stones or at least the Crox or diamond spray before my next shave.

This will probably be my first and last " new " carbon steel " razor , I think the best option is some vintage stainless steel from now on. Thanks for your input.
Cheers.

1morepasswill said:
This will probably be my first and last " new " carbon steel " razor , I think the best option is some vintage stainless steel from now on. Thanks for your input.
Cheers.

I'm glad you've resolved the issue. I wouldn't let it put you off new carbon blades - the very fact that you don't have any issues with vintage suggests that Mike's last post is correct.

With regard to a touch up, I've found that it's very easy to take the edge off when polishing razors. They may not need a hone - perhaps just an extended stropping session to bring them back.

Thanks. Go easy on the CrOx - it can leave a 'harsh' edge. Probably no more than 10 rounds and then use your leather strops afterwards to burnish the edge again.

UKRob said:
Thanks. Go easy on the CrOx - it can leave a 'harsh' edge. Probably no more than 10 rounds and then use your leather strops afterwards to burnish the edge again.
Thanks all advice welcome. I have a 15 carrot/0.5 micron diamond spray as well , would you say one is better than the other just to refresh the edge?

One of the reasons I haven't bought a straight. Too much effort. I just dont have the time for it yet, but something I would like to try in the future.

In the meantime I have a Kai Kamisori type to play with.

Yeah , it's not something you need to rush into , I go between my Stealth , my Mongoose and a straight.

Your water is to hot, each stroke clean the the razorwith a finger wipe