Watch maker

Swiss watches are crazy money at the moment, because of the strength of the Swiss franc. According to Moneyweek the Swiss are printing money to try to devalue the Franc so they can still export their overpriced watches.
It's a crazy World. If I had £ 2,000 to spend on a watch today I would buy a Grand Seiko Quartz,without hesitation, despite owning two Seamasters in the past.

johant1968 said:
Really? What about Seiko? They even make their own lubricants for the Grand Seiko models, AFAIK.

I almost pissed my pants laughing at seeing this, it's like trying to compare a Skoda against a Bugatti Veyron, Skoda also make all their components so does that make them as good as the Veyron, the Grand Sieko cost £2000 and the Daniels watch cost £100.000, and takes 6 months to make, so if you are lucky put your order in now, where the Grand Seiko can be purchased from any high end watch shop and are readily available, there's no real comparison, like night and day.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Wonderful who said the Swiss make the best watches? As he said they are the only watch makers in the world that actually make every component of the watch from start to finish.

My Swiss watch story. Number of years ago when I had money, I decided to buy myself a new Rolex . Had a friend who ran a jewelry story so I bought one from him at a fair price.
The new watch was off x seconds a month so he sent it back. We ended up sending it back 3 times. After the third he told me that the company told him to tell me that I had bought a "Chronometer" , if I wanted something that kept perfect time I should have bought a Timex!!

johant1968 said:
Really? What about Seiko? They even make their own lubricants for the Grand Seiko models, AFAIK.

I almost pissed my pants laughing at seeing this, it's like trying to compare a Skoda against a Bugatti Veyron, Skoda also make all their components so does that make them as good as the Veyron, the Grand Sieko cost £2000 and the Daniels watch cost £100.000, and takes 6 months to make

And what exactly is the reason to discount the Grand Seiko then? Does £100.000 make the Daniels a better watch? Or just a much more expensive watch?

I mean, the Bugatti Veyron is much faster than a Skoda ... but does the Daniels put 300 hours in a day?

Skoda also make all their components so does that make them as good as the Veyron

no they don't

engines & running gear via VAG and my very Rapid Skoda AKA the screaming green eagle is better than a veyron :p

johant1968 said:
johant1968 said:

I almost pissed my pants laughing at seeing this, it's like trying to compare a Skoda against a Bugatti Veyron, Skoda also make all their components so does that make them as good as the Veyron, the Grand Sieko cost £2000 and the Daniels watch cost £100.000, and takes 6 months to make

And what exactly is the reason to discount the Grand Seiko then? Does £100.000 make the Daniels a better watch? Or just a much more expensive watch?

I mean, the Bugatti Veyron is much faster than a Skoda ... but does the Daniels put 300 hours in a day?

The grand Seiko will depreciate in value from day 1, the George Daniels will appreciate in value from day 1.
There is a very good reason for that and it really doesn't need explaining.

Grand Seiko's are no doubt an excellent watch for the money, robust and very accurate. Seiko suffer from 'Cheap Watch Syndrome' which is unfortunate as they are very good, not only their Grand range.

George Daniels are in another universe in terms of workmanship, design and implementation (and rarity), that's why they cost what they do.

Chalk & Cheese but both performing exactly the same task in almost the same way...Telling the time ;)

Back
Top Bottom