Vintage Straight buying advice.

CjH

So I've been thinking about getting a straight razor for a few months now. More so as an ornament but with the option of using it.
I keep looking at vintage and sometimes see them on the bay.
What I want to know is what to look out for as a no no!
When has a blade been used to the full, cannot be sharpened again.... Etc.

On a side note, are any of the cheaper modern straight edge razors worth considering?

So I've been thinking about getting a straight razor for a few months now. More so as an ornament but with the option of using it.
I keep looking at vintage and sometimes see them on the bay.
What I want to know is what to look out for as a no no!
When has a blade been used to the full, cannot be sharpened again.... Etc.

On a side note, are any of the cheaper modern straight edge razors worth considering?
If it were only for an ornament then it would be a simple matter of something that was pleasing to your eye but if you want to use it no matter how infrequently it needs to be a good usable razor in shave ready condition, as well as that you will need a strop for when you do use it.
Cheap and modern (new) are words that don't go together when looking for a straight razor so I would be looking at any of the number of vintage razors you can find on auction sites, try to look for German, British , French and don't take it for granted that " Shave Ready" actually means it's been honed to a standard that is required for shaving, so expect to have it sent away for honing.
Keep away from Chinese, Indian or anything that looks too good to be true!
If you find anything be sure to let us know before you buy it.
I hope I have been of some help.
Maybe someone here will have a suitable razor for you, try a "wanted" on BST.

Paul.

Last edited:
If it were only for an ornament then it would be a simple matter of something that was pleasing to your eye but if you want to use it no matter how infrequently it needs to be a good usable razor in shave ready condition, as well as that you will need a strop for when you do use it.
Cheap and modern (new) are words that don't go together when looking for a straight razor so I would be looking at any of the number of vintage razors you can find on auction sites, try to look for German, British , French and don't take it for granted that " Shave Ready" actually means it's been honed to a standard that is required for shaving, so expect to have it sent away for honing.
Keep away from Chinese, Indian or anything that looks too good to be true!
If you find anything be sure to let us know before you buy it.
I hope I have been of some help.
Maybe someone here will have a suitable razor for you, try a "wanted" on BST.

Paul.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I may try a wanted.

Back
Top Bottom