Vintage SE razor

Hi guys, so I recently started shaving with a Razorock Hawk V3. I'm getting the best shaves I've ever had from it. But now I'm getting the urge to try a vintage SE. I've been looking at the Ever Ready razors, I have a few questions though. I have very sensitive skin, so I would need a mild razor, is the Ever Ready considered mild? Are the blades easy to attain in the UK? Is there much of a selection with regards to blades ? Or is there another vintage SE I should be looking at?

Thanks
Callum

Hi Callum,
You can find Vintage SE for sale on the Web and BST. ER Razors were produced over a No of years and vary in Shape & Size.
A popular starter is the 1912 price varies from around £ 10 and up if shipped from UK. I suggest you have a look at the Forum heading
Single Edge [SE] Razors and Blades, where there is info on different types of Vintage SE.

Bladewise the most commonly used is the Gem/Personna available at Connaughts- Carbon blade are available from USA

Do not rush into buying from USA. If you are interested I have cased ER 1912 std, Bathroom Set, ER 1924,ER Natural Angle all at reasonable cost - the latter being the most expensive at £ 18 inc postage.
I think I can let you have an ER 1912 uncased at £10 posted.I can provide photos if you want -just PM me .after you have done some research.
Mike B

For the sake of a tenner, Mike’s ER 1912 would be a great place to start.
I personally find it mild - but it provides a close shave. I actually find it refreshing not having a selection of blades to choose from - 1 blade does it all. The razor you put it in provides the aggression.
The Schick experts should be able to tell you the milder models and a price to look for.

Hi guys, so I recently started shaving with a Razorock Hawk V3. I'm getting the best shaves I've ever had from it. But now I'm getting the urge to try a vintage SE. I've been looking at the Ever Ready razors, I have a few questions though. I have very sensitive skin, so I would need a mild razor, is the Ever Ready considered mild? Are the blades easy to attain in the UK? Is there much of a selection with regards to blades ? Or is there another vintage SE I should be looking at?

Thanks
Callum
Have you thought about this forums pass me round fatboy or there’s a box of soaps , blades and razors to try which has a gold version of black beauty that is my go to everyday razor ( cost me about £20 to post on but stopped me buying lots of soaps to try so probably worked out cheaper in long run ) and as it’s adjustable can be as mild or aggressive as you want depending on the setting and blade choice

Received my Ever Ready 1912 this morning, just in time for my shave. It's a beautiful razor and is a very smooth shaver. I struggled with getting used to the angle to start with, which resulted in one small nick. Apart from that, it was a very smooth enjoyable shave.

I've only just got into SE razors this year after shaving with DE for 16 years. I don't know why it's taken me so long to try SE razors. But I'm so glad I've finally got into using them. I've got to say I prefer the shave I get with my Hawk over any DE razor I've tried over the years.

Really looking forward to my next shave with the 1912

Thanks
Callum

Hi Guys, so I had a Gem Kampfe turn up today that I won on eBay. Needed a lot of cleaning was covered in black dirt. But came up a treat. Popped a Gem blade in it, and had an enjoyable shave. Not the smoothest shave I've had. But no nicks and no irritation at all.

I don't know too much about the razor. It does have a Z on the clip that holds the original blade in place and the original blade has a Z on it. So I'm guessing this is the "Z" model, so somewhere around 1903?

I will have another shave with it in a few days and then will decide if I like the razor enough to keep it. I did find the 1912 far smoother. Need to decide

Optimized-IMG_0786.jpg
Optimized-IMG_0787.jpg
Optimized-IMG_0789.jpg

Kind Regards
Callum

I don't know too much about the razor. It does have a Z on the clip that holds the original blade in place and the original blade has a Z on it. So I'm guessing this is the "Z" model, so somewhere around 1903?

View attachment 81504
View attachment 81505
View attachment 81506

Kind Regards
Callum
Hi Callum,
Great razor and top find,
Pop over to TOST3, that's where a few experts hang out, only SE Safety razors allowed, everything else is an "Unmentionable ";)
T

Hi Guys, so I had a Gem Kampfe turn up today that I won on eBay. Needed a lot of cleaning was covered in black dirt. But came up a treat. Popped a Gem blade in it, and had an enjoyable shave. Not the smoothest shave I've had. But no nicks and no irritation at all.

I will have another shave with it in a few days and then will decide if I like the razor enough to keep it. I did find the 1912 far smoother. Need to decide

View attachment 81504
View attachment 81505
View attachment 81506

Kind Regards
Callum
Hi Callum,
Carefully remove the spine off a Gem Blade, then use as a wedge under the blade in use. Original blades were thicker so a wedge helps get a better angle.

Thanks for the help guys. I will give that forum a try to see if anyone can confirm if it is the "Z" model or not.

With regards to the wedge. I do have the original blade and did notice it is much thicker, so I tried to replicate the angle when shaving. But the wedge sounds like the perfect solution. Am I removing the spine and using the spine as a wedge? So a spine and then a new blade with a spine on top of that? Bit like this https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shovel-head-razor.469507/

Sorry if that's a stupid question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom