Vintage SE razor

Thanks for the help guys. I will give that forum a try to see if anyone can confirm if it is the "Z" model or not.

With regards to the wedge. I do have the original blade and did notice it is much thicker, so I tried to replicate the angle when shaving. But the wedge sounds like the perfect solution. Am I removing the spine and using the spine as a wedge? So a spine and then a new blade with a spine on top of that? Bit like this https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shovel-head-razor.469507/

Sorry if that's a stupid question.
Callum
It is so long ago that I did it that my memory is a bit hazy. Think it was a 1/2 spine but am sure someone will give a definitive answer.I used a few oldies but passed them on, as I have enough of various types to keep me busy.
Mike

Hi Callum,
Great razor and top find,
Pop over to TOST3, that's where a few experts hang out, only SE Safety razors allowed, everything else is an "Unmentionable ";)
T
Not as good as Tost2 was with info going back years. I have problems getting photos on that site, so have not used it
for ages. I don’t like SOTD without photos .

Not as good as Tost2 was with info going back years. I have problems getting photos on that site, so have not used it
for ages. I don’t like SOTD without photos .
Hi Mike, I use post image, it's free and easy to load photos.
Screenshot-20211214-152242-Gallery.jpg

Voilà
Come on back, you are missed.
T

From the top of my head:
The Z is for 'Zinn'.
So this model was probably made for the 'Zinn' company owned by the Zinn family.
If I recall correctly they were investors in GEM and weren't they in the same building as well?
The Zinn company owned the patent for the 1912.

It does say Patented Nov 5/01 on the back, making it one of the very early 1900s. The Waits Compendium is light on this, but does have a listing for the 1903 Z which he states was "used since August 1903". What I think you have is what's called a "Crowned Gem".Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 23.02.40.jpg

Either way, bloomin' marvellous acquisition ... such a beautiful object does not have to have a purpose and I'd say to keep it, even if you don't want to shave with it at the moment.

You could also try it with an elastic band wrapped around the spine of the blade which will lift it up a little and angle it down more. This razor would have taken a wedge type blade back in its day.

Dodgy geezer over on TSD calls it a Crown/Crowned Gem from 1901 although the pictures are missing.

@Fergiebilly

Google has an archive:

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 23.10.11.jpg

Ah! Hello ...

Nowadays, he's more Crown & Sword (Solingen) than Gem.

Dodgy geezer over on TSD calls it a Crown/Crowned Gem from 1901 although the pictures are missing.

@Fergiebilly

Google has an archive:

View attachment 81531

Ah! Hello ...

Nowadays, he's more Crown & Sword (Solingen) than Gem.
1639553298052.png

I think you are right about what this razor is. it does have Nov 5/01 on the back. Maybe I should try to take some better more detailed pictures today. I do have the tin but has lost most of the detail from it, and unfortunately, the lid is missing. It does have the case for the blade with the blade still inside. I will try to get some pictures of this. The tin in the picture does match perfectly with what I can make out on my tin.

It was a very enjoyable shave. But think it will be even better once I've got some practice with this razor and tried using a shim. I've noticed you can buy 3d printed shims off of Etsy, so I might pick up one of them. If the shim technique makes the shave even better.

If this razor is as rare as stated on TSD I probably shouldn't mention how little I won this razor for.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to help me with this, it's appreciated.

I think in the next few weeks I might move this razor on. I've decided I much prefer AC SE razors. And as I'm trying to just have one SE and one DE, the GEM Kampe and the 1912 will have to go at some point. My problem is I have no idea what the GEM Kampe is worth and so what price to ask for. Would be asking for £45 too much or too little? Any advice on valuing this razor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Callum

Last edited:
I think in the next few weeks I might move this razor on. I've decided I much prefer AC SE razors. And as I'm trying to just have one SE and one DE, the GEM Kampe and the 1912 will have to go at some point. My problem is I have no idea what the GEM Kampe is worth and so what price to ask for. Would be asking for £45 too much or too little? Any advice on valuing this razor would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Callum
Asking price depends where you are selling it.,you can research selling prices if selling in market place. Always nice if selling on Forums to sell at mates rates, if possible cover your purchase cost + small amount.

I would always offer what I have to sell on here first. I would rather one of you guys get first dibs. I will try to do some searches and see what kind of price these go for.

Back
Top Bottom