Vintage razor sanitising

Hi Everyone

I just managed to get an old Gilette flair tip. What is the best was to sanitise it. It is in great condition, Can I use Milton? or just boiling water? What do you guys do? -Any help and tips would be appreciated, Thanks guys

cheers
D

If it's off the 'bay, or similar then best bet is to get barbicide (or generic germicide) and follow the instructions. Usually 6% germicide to water volume. Leave it soak and you're done. Toothbrush and hot water with washing up liquid to remove any gunk worked for me too.
Also good form if you're participating in any of the pass arounds to treat them before moving on. Do not use Milton - that stuff can mess with metal and damage your razor irreversibly.

If it's off the 'bay, or similar then best bet is to get barbicide (or generic germicide) and follow the instructions. Usually 6% germicide to water volume. Leave it soak and you're done. Toothbrush and hot water with washing up liquid to remove any gunk worked for me too.
Also good form if you're participating in any of the pass arounds to treat them before moving on. Do not use Milton - that stuff can mess with metal and damage your razor irreversibly.
Thanks very much for the tip, It's very clean and shiny, just wanted to be safe

Do not use Miltons. It corrodes metal. Not quickly, but it does.
Use Barbicide. It corrodes nasties, not metals. Quickly.
If the razor is clean - use an old toothbrush and washing up liquid.
Any germs on a 60-year-old razor are long dead.
If you sell it, PIF it or pass it around... ALWAYS USE BARBICIDE.
Anything else is very bad manners.

i have been doing mine with milton tablets for a long time with no adverse effect however after jesters comments i will definitely stop using milton
"The recommended dilution is 30ml of Milton (liquid) - 5l cold water,
leave it for 30 minutes and then rinse out.

Please note that Milton should not be used on metals on a regular basis

as it can corrode metal."

May be OK for a one time clean, or maybe not.

Dip the head in freshly boiled water for a few seconds, if the razor looks nice and clean. Toothpaste and soft toothbrush if cruddy.

I have used a sonic bath; but only because there was one in the house that my eldest daughter was using for jewellery (N.B. if using one, and you have a razor with paint on it i.e. a Gillette Red/Black/Blue Tip, make sure you have some paint to match after the razor comes out. The vibration causes it to erode a wee bit).

Each to their own, but I’ve never used Barbicide or any type of sterilising stuff for my razors. There’s absolutely no need; other than psychological reassurance.

I stand to be corrected here; but IMHO, you’re highly unlikely to get any type of infection from a DE/SE. It’s the blade that does the cutting.

Last edited:
The chap at Razor Emporium in the USA, who deals extensively in refurbished vintage razors as well as modern ones, recommends hot water, a toothbrush and detergent (washing-up liquid, I think), and cautions against using any number of liquids for cleaning. He has a couple of videos on the subject on YouTube.

I think that most serious problems arise when a plated razor, be it chrome, gold or whatever, is exposed to some of these cleaning agents, which are capable of stripping off the finish in double-quick time.

Personally, I use the hot water and detergent method, albeit in my ultrasonic cleaner, and after a good scrub with a toothbrush. If possible, I leave them to dry in a sunny spot, or use a hairdryer on a moderate setting. I have in the past used diluted Barbicide, but only as a quick dip, (the instructions say 10 minutes immersion), and it has been suggested that it can be injurious to some razors, especially if they are steeped in it for a long time. i.e. longer than the recommended 10 minutes.

For myself, I've not been too concerned about acquiring infections from metal razors, even those with hollows and unscrubbable parts, provided they are cleaned well at least once (and more if deemed necessary) as I have described.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom