Vintage razor collection - how to value?

Hi All, I used to enjoy collecting vintage razors but since growing a lockdown beard and buying a beard trimmer I have lost interest in wet shaving :eek:

With home improvements underway I could do with freeing up some funds.

The 'jewels in the crown' are my Aristocrats (#15, #22, Rocket #58, Aristocrat Junior) and a minty Fatboy. It's a nice little collection that has brought me a lot of joy over the years.

I'm out of touch with current prices and I can't remember exactly what I paid for most of them. Should I just list them on BST for what I estimate their approximate value to be, even though my valuations will be out of date now? I'd rather sell on here than eBay.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Prices seem to be more volatile than they were, and I don't think the upward trajectory of some razors is continuing at the previous speed.

It looks as if top-end Gillettes, in very good condition and preferably complete with box or packaging, still command good prices, as do the rarer or scarcer 3-piece razors.

Speaking personally, I have a reasonable collection of Gillettes, for which I have most of the prices I paid. Since that was some years ago, they probably wouldn't help me much in assessing what to expect for what today, but would at least give me a rough guide to place them in order of possible value.

In these circumstances, I myself would spend some time researching prices paid on eBay UK, for as far back as possible, but also to see if there are any trends perhaps influenced by Covid and its effect on, for example, peoples' buying power. I think that would give some idea of current prices. Obviously the other place to get a handle on this is to look in the BST and see what action there has been there. That's especially useful if BST is your preferred marketplace.

If I were selling, I think I would also consider timing. There is reportedly £250bn in money saved through reduced spending since March last, and the thought is that when "conditions" improve (perhaps) later in the year, a good bit that money will go back out into the economy. That may have a slight influence on how much someone is prepared to spend, even on something as arcane as quality vintage razors.

Again, just my thoughts on how I might go about it.

Thank you, that's really helpful. From a brief look on eBay, prices for UK Aristocrats seem pretty strong. I'm not in a hurry to sell so I might do my research and release one piece at a time - that way I will get to say goodbye to them all!

Back
Top Bottom