Vintage Palmolive stick

Received an old Palmolive shaving stick in an ebay auction I won. Don't know the age... would guess 1950s or 60s? Long before I was born so I can't remember what they were like at certain times.

It's in its original cardboard packet and the soap stick is covered in the original tin foil. I can tell it had never been opened... till I opened it a bit to take a look and get a whiff. It doesn't have that familiar Palmolive smell they currently have. It smells like a very generic soap smell if you know what I mean. The kind any cheap unbranded soap smells like.

Don't know what the ingredients are as it doesn't say. Any reason I shouldn't use it?

Piccies:
IMAG0156.jpg

IMAG0155.jpg

No reason why you shouldn't. People use vintage soaps all the time.

I'd be quite interested in knowing how it performs to the uk stick.

This is "Made In England" but yes I'm too curious not to try it unless someone said "For the love of Cripes don't put that near your face!". I was concerned ingredients might go bad or give me a nasty rash but it smells ok, it looks ok, no-one has said I'll spread soap AIDS to everyone I come into contact with, so I think I will use it tonight, and I'll post back here.

I just wish they put date codes on them or something. It says Colgate-Palmolive so it's 1953 or after...

I would say it is as good. Took a little while to get it going but I've never been very good at lathering, hence me using far more creams than soaps. Definitely pleased with my purchase and glad I didn't leave it pristine on the shelf. Only thing is I don't want to use it all up.

Back
Top Bottom