Vintage Feather

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
This Little Beauty Arrived this morning and i’m over the moon. The seller told me it was brand new and the condition of the razor dosent tell me any difference.
Apparently it’s 50’s 60’s but other than that i have virtually no idea of of anything else.
at 53 grams it’s a lot heavier than i first thought.
I have no idea of the material but it does feel like stainless.
Anyone out there with vintage feather knowledge.
i would be grateful if someone can give me any sort of info. Stay Safe Boys
D8D779B4-3E70-41E1-851A-EE1BC60A7F66.jpeg649A1F4F-0054-4C19-9572-422ADC7CF1C2.jpeg0B1A9B66-AEAB-4349-ADDE-ABE8C6A89C4C.jpeg92999216-9A41-402B-913E-15B38130415E.jpeg649A1F4F-0054-4C19-9572-422ADC7CF1C2.jpeg

This Little Beauty Arrived this morning and i’m over the moon. The seller told me it was brand new and the condition of the razor dosent tell me any difference.
Apparently it’s 50’s 60’s but other than that i have virtually no idea of of anything else.
at 53 grams it’s a lot heavier than i first thought.
I have no idea of the material but it does feel like stainless.
Anyone out there with vintage feather knowledge.
i would be grateful if someone can give me any sort of info. Stay Safe Boys
View attachment 65495View attachment 65496View attachment 65497View attachment 65498View attachment 65496
Beauty. I've heard/read good things about those old Feather razors. The quality looks exceptional, did you get it from eBay?

As for the weight, it's likely to be brass, which is heavier than SS.

Beauty. I've heard/read good things about those old Feather razors. The quality looks exceptional, did you get it from eBay?

As for the weight, it's likely to be brass, which is heavier than SS.
Yes the quality is first class,
the knurling/grip feels strange almost sandpaper like. iv never felt anything like it but for sure it won’t slip.
No not ebay mate although i do use ebay a lot.

Blade appears to be carbon steel, Wilkinson Sword first introduced stainless steel DE blades in 1962 and Gillette reeling from the shock rushed their own to market in 1963 with everyone else following around the same time. With that in mind I would guess it's from 1965-1968 at the absolute very latest... More likely pre '65.
Feather started their Stainless DE blades in 64
but i’m unsure if that means they only done stainless after that time or if they still produced carbon.
i would assume the finished production of carbon but i’m only guessing

Feather started their Stainless DE blades in 64
but i’m unsure if that means they only done stainless after that time or if they still produced carbon.
i would assume the finished production of carbon but i’m only guessing
If you send Feather an email they will be happy to help you with answers to your questions, I have asked them questions in the past regarding my WS-D1 and they were really helpful, give as much photographic evidence as you can and they will get back in touch with you. Very nice people to deal with.

Paul.

If you send Feather an email they will be happy to help you with answers to your questions, I have asked them questions in the past regarding my WS-D1 and they were really helpful, give as much photographic evidence as you can and they will get back in touch with you. Very nice people to deal with.

Paul.
That’s great paul thanks for that
i was actually on their site tonight and noticed they have a museum.
i’ll definitely do that
i may as well get as much info as i can

You can still buy Feather carbon DE blades. I used one once......................for about one inch. Brutal.

I once had a Feather DE razor like this one, but it was OC and for me very aggressive. I sold it for a song to a fella who loved it.
Thanks mate i wasn’t sure if you could still get the carbon.
There seems to be plenty different models of razors out there at a guess iv seen around 15 ish i think.
There also seems to be a good few Japanese razors out there that were named after big department stores, whether they are any good time will tell as i’m planning on getting one.
Also iv noticed a couple of Kai razors which were all travel razors and had the logo shell.
I originally thought it was Shell petrol stations as the logo was very similar but iv since been informed it was aptly named because of the sharp edge on a clamshell and apparently Kai means shell in japanese although i never got that on google translate.
I came across another Razor called Nicole and apparently that’s another japanese razor,
i think iv opened up a empty pocket minefield lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom