Veteran newbie reporting in

Hi All,

Good to find a UK-based shaving forum! I'm just returning to DE shaving after a decade or so away, so it's interesting to see how much things have changed.

First time around, I was living in NZ and got tired of ingrowing hairs from cartridge razors. Intrigued by seeing DE blades in the supermarkets, I poked around online and ended up buying a vintage Gillette (I think a three-piece Tech?) from TradeMe (NZ's eBay) and restoring it to usable condition. I never got far beyond newbie status though, before first-time parenthood took over my life and lengthy wet shaves weren't really an option, so I switched to a Braun Series 7 electric (which is OK, with a bit of Speick Pre-Electric to help it out).

Anyway, I'm tired of the sound of an electric shaver, the kids are a bit older, and I miss knurled steel and the smell of Tabac, so I'm getting back on the horse. All I can find of my old gear is a Vulfix Pure Bristle brush - must have left that Gillette in NZ. Still, it's an excuse to do some shopping, so I have a Merkur 34C, a Simpson's Trafalgar T2, my beloved Tabac and one or two indulgences on the way.

I'm excited to see how much better synthetic brushes have got - I had a Body Shop one back in the day that was fairly hopeless.

Welcome back! If you want a good cheap synthetic, Yaqi are great, a little bit more and PAA are outstanding value for that little bit more.

Last edited:
A warm welcome to TSR and back to wetshaving.
You'll be up to date with what's trending in no time. Just arm yourself with a bit of time and cups of tea/coffee/other beverages of your choice

Back
Top Bottom