Very Short Kropp

Just thought that I would share the latest razor off my bench.

It is a Kropp it had a large crack in the blade so I took this off with the Dremel using the cutting disc. I had to do the barbers notch to get the last bit of the crack out off the blade. However this made it very small as you can see in the photos. While I had the cutting disks on hand I had a go at some spine work. This is my first attempt at doing anything other than restoring razor the scales are off another razor that were broken so I didn’t mind making them this short for this razor. The blade had a fair bit of rust on it so I got most of it off you can still see the pitting on the back but if I took it all out the blade would have been that thin I wouldn’t have been able to hone it. It isn’t my best work however it only took me this morning to do it and it will be used as a travel razor so it din't need to be perfect.[attachment=2][attachment=1][attachment=0]

Attachments

• Picture 3.JPG
    Picture 3.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Picture 2.JPG
    Picture 2.JPG
    152.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture 1.JPG
    Picture 1.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 53
Nice!

I've got a razor to restore which I'm planning on shortening as there's a big chip out of the point, so it's interesting to see how it worked for you.

Did you need to stop frequently to cool the blade when you used the cutting disk on the Dremel, or did it cut through quickly enough not to heat it too much?

To cut the toe off I used a Dremel with a cutting disk you have to go slow and make sure that there is minimal heat in the blade if it get too hot you need to dip it water.

I work on a jig made with aluminium this helps get the heat away however I still needed to dip this blade several times.

As I work if I can feel heat in the blade with my finger tip I stop and wait for it to cool down or dip it depends on how much work I’m doing. It takes quite a bit of time but at least you don’t goose a blade before you even start.

Back
Top Bottom