Vector -v- Hawk

While I'm very much appreciating the RR Hawk v3 that I have, with the standard and A plates, together with a choice of the HD and Super-Knurl handles, my eye has been drawn, to the beautiful lines of the Blackland Vector. I hear that there may be a titanium model coming soon, and that news simply enhances my desire for one, once I have saved my pennies.

Would any kind member, who has had the benefit of shaving with both be able to let me know how they compare in terms of efficiency and smoothness?

Thanks in advance,

David

I am sure there are a few who know both well, not me though.

However I do have similar to the Vector in the Colonial General V2 and I'd give it the edge over the Hawk as it is just so damn nimble, efficient and accurate.

The big but though is the price difference. The V2 is over double the price and betterment is an expectation, but the Hawk ain't that far behind and unless you were splitting hairs (literally) I'd say the Hawk is better based on cost value.

I am sweetly tempted by the Vector though.

While I'm very much appreciating the RR Hawk v3 that I have, with the standard and A plates, together with a choice of the HD and Super-Knurl handles, my eye has been drawn, to the beautiful lines of the Blackland Vector. I hear that there may be a titanium model coming soon, and that news simply enhances my desire for one, once I have saved my pennies.

Would any kind member, who has had the benefit of shaving with both be able to let me know how they compare in terms of efficiency and smoothness?

Thanks in advance,

David
I've never tried a Hawk. But have the Vector which is a very smooth and efficient razor, also the build quality of the Vector is excellent and on an other level to my Mongoose in every way. Lastly the Vector is a light, slim and manoeuvrable razor, for me a titanium version holds no appeal and difficult to see how it would out perform the existing stainless.

I have the Hawks 2 and 3, Generals 1 and 2 and the Vector (plus some other ACs but we'll leave them out of the discussion for now).

They're all fantastic razors. The Vector is probably the most unique in terms of design and nimbleness but I wouldn't say it gives me the best shave of the lot - neither is it a poor performer - none of them are.

You can probably select based on your personal preference from a price and aesthetics point of view. You can get a Hawk standard and A for the price of a Vector. The Vector is beautiful though.

For me the Vector wins out above the General V2 (original handle) and the Hawk V3.
Now saying that the Hawk is not a bad razor, I found it unbalanced and top heavy, maybe because the head is offset?
The Vector wins over the General V2 because for me it looks better, the shave finishes are similar but the Vector is more nimble and better balanced.
The General loads more easily than the Vector and both have potential flaws due to the cap post design to reduce the head size.
Price point Hawk V3 wins hands down. It has been sitting in my cart since i tried Chris @Boycie83 "V3".
1. Vector
2. General
3. V3 Hawk. (A plate)

Why did I read this thread? . . . .

I'm only a week in with the Hawk V3 (my first proper SE), and already I'm lusting after a Vector - which will likely cost 4 times more than the Hawk !
I'll be the voice of common sense for you Paul - you already have a great razor and don't need the Vector.

You'll probably end up buying one though

Last edited:
Why did I read this thread? . . . .

I'm only a week in with the Hawk V3 (my first proper SE), and already I'm lusting after a Vector - which will likely cost 4 times more than the Hawk !
Enjoy the Hawk if you're happy with shave buddy, that's all that matters. There is always something new or more appealing, you'll be for ever chasing rainbows..............But saying that the Vector is a great razor :)

I'll be the voice of common sense for you Paul - you are have a great razor and don't need the Vector.

You'll probably end up buying one though

Thanks Chris,

It would have to be a save up for razor - I'm only a humble rat catcher after all !

I think Tony helped me come to my senses too . . . . .

+1 on this Paul,
The Hawk with the A plate is a very similar shave and a very nice piece of kit. The rest is aesthetics.

Although it's so damn pretty to look at, it would be just for the aesthetic value I guess.

Given choices, I'm like a bloody magpie !

Interesting reading everyone's replies.

I have bought and sold many of the AC razors mentioned and a few more.

The Vector was a little too mild for me.

For me, I would say the Hawk V3 A plate, on an Ikon OSS handle beats all of them. I am basing that on the shave not price. The V3 and the V2 (which I am wishfully keeping as a travel razor) are the only AC razors I have now.

Thank you to all for your replies and thoughts. It's proved very interesting reading. After some reflection, I think I'm still too early in my SE Shaving journey to splash out just yet for a Vector, despite it looking fantastic. I'll also have to do some more research on the Generals, about which I know nothing.

Thanks

David

Thanks Chris,

It would have to be a save up for razor - I'm only a humble rat catcher after all !

I think Tony helped me come to my senses too . . . . .

Although it's so damn pretty to look at, it would be just for the aesthetic value I guess.

Given choices, I'm like a bloody magpie !
Strangely I have never been that keen on the looks of the Vector, yet I went for the odd looking Occams Oren& Enoch.
I am very happy with The Hawk V3, looks,price and performance.

Back
Top Bottom