Vaughan Williams

G

Been a classical music snob or 40 years but only recently got into Vaughan Williams' stuff. Anyone else around here heard his thing?

Mr Toad

I've never really taken much notice of RVW but your post has prompted me to check out his Antarctica Symphony on Spotify. Romantic music is not really my thing but there are a few exceptions such as Sibelius for example. My appreciation of classical music has been low since my early 20s as it went hand-in-hand with my performing the stuff. Anyway, I'm enjoying what I'm hearing at the moment, but it will never come close to Saint Etienne (or Poulenc!) ;)

Pig Cat said:
(or Poulenc!) ;)

Ah, Poulenc. That probably was my biggest discovery in the last five years. His piano concertos, organ concerto, and concert champetre, for romantic harpsichord.

Or Louise Farrenc, or Lili Boulanger.

And of course Ravel and Ottorino Respighi. There's hardly any music that makes me happier than his Ancient Airs and Dances.

And then there is Beethoven, and Handel, and Mozart, and Strauss (Richard, that is ;-) )

Henk

Oh, and Erich Wolfgang Korngold. Violin Concerto. Or, listen to his film music to the Sea Hawk, and hear the beginning of a composition tradition whose current culmination is formed by the works of John Williams ('Curly'; not the guitarist) and Howard Shore...

Henk, I agree that Poulenc's orchestral works that you mention are wonderful. A highly underrated composer who's music is always interesting, fun and dramatic. I used to love playing his Clarinet Sonata which was just within my capabilities - very rewarding and satisfying!

Pig Cat said:
Henk, I agree that Poulenc's orchestral works that you mention are wonderful. A highly underrated composer who's music is always interesting, fun and dramatic. I used to love playing his Clarinet Sonata which was just within my capabilities - very rewarding and satisfying!

Have to listen to that. I play(ed) trumpet, flugelhorn, tenor horn and recorders. Most recently tenor horn. Strauss' first horn concerto can (almost, except for two pedal notes) be played on the tenor horn, and I could almost do that ;-)

Henk

Pig Cat said:
I've never really taken much notice of RVW but your post has prompted me to check out his Antarctica Symphony on Spotify. Romantic music is not really my thing but there are a few exceptions such as Sibelius for example. My appreciation of classical music has been low since my early 20s as it went hand-in-hand with my performing the stuff. Anyway, I'm enjoying what I'm hearing at the moment, but it will never come close to Saint Etienne (or Poulenc!) ;)

Not sure about Romantic - wasn't he a bit late for that movement? Instead I tend to think of him as early modern, like Sibelius - although even that sets limits. The second movement of the London (2nd) and the Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis are sublime (in a non romantic sense) and ageless, especially the references to early English folk music.

Good points Peter, shows how rusty my musical knowledge is becoming! Unfortunately my short attention span meant I stopped listening to the (admittedly enjoyable) Antarctica in favour of Poulenc's clarinet sonata for a bit of nostalgia. That took me on to Schumann Op.94 Romances - nice! Then went for some Royksopp. I have now stuck on the VW Lento* as recommended and it is sounding lovely... :)

* Sounds like a new electric car

A more Scandinavian bent to my tastes - Sibelius, Grieg, Nielsen, Stenhammar, Sibelius - all officially late romatics, early moderns - but a wealth of musical variety in the five of them.

I cannot get away with some of the modernist stuff though - Glass leaves me completely cold and due to a childhood of forced Beethoven & Mozart, they elicit bad memories (if you thought your shave with a Wilkinson-sourced Laser blade - 39p/5 - was bad, it's quite pleasant compared to the memories of B&M that I have).

Come on, you antiques, get out and buy some plastic crappy multiblade razors

Back
Top Bottom