V60

Anyone here use a V60?

The convenience really appeals to me. What's the coffee taste like etc etc? Is one brand much the same as the other?
I've used one for a few years now. It makes great coffee, but the secret is to grind your own beans, as fresh as possible, using a burr grinder. You'll have to experiment with the grind settings depending on the coffee and grinder.
I buy my beans from local coffee roasters in the Glasgow area so I know they're freshly roasted.
I've only ever used Hario Japanese filter papers so can't comment on other brands.
My gear :
Hario V60 2 cup, plastic
Hario mini mill manual grinder
Hario unbleached filters.
There's lots of forums on the internet dealing with grind size, coffee to water ratio etc. but.........that's another rabbit hole!!

I use one and would recommend it highly - it produces superb coffee once you get used to using it. I find the whole ritual enjoyable - wetting the grounds then timing the pour over, My version has the decanter but you can get the top bit only I think. Cheers - I.

I've used a V60, Kelita Wave, Aeropress, Chemex and Clever Dripper over the past 10 years (I'm a bit of a coffee nut).

Personally I would recommend the Clever Dripper over the V60 unless you have a good grinder and swan neck kettle. The quality of V60 coffee is hugely variable based on the consistency of your coffee grind and your pouring technique. In order to get a good extraction water needs to flow evenly through the coffee bed in a V60 this is quite hard to do consistently without the right equipment.

The Clever Dripper on the other hand is an immersion brewer which makes it much easier to get a good extraction without needing to worry as much about technique and grind size etc. Here's a good overview by coffee nerd James Hoffmann

If you really want to go down the extraction rabbit hole there's also this video.

The Clever is a bit harder to find, Clifton Coffee Roasters is the cheapest place selling them at the moment I think.

I've used a V60, Kelita Wave, Aeropress, Chemex and Clever Dripper over the past 10 years (I'm a bit of a coffee nut).

Personally I would recommend the Clever Dripper over the V60 unless you have a good grinder and swan neck kettle. The quality of V60 coffee is hugely variable based on the consistency of your coffee grind and your pouring technique. In order to get a good extraction water needs to flow evenly through the coffee bed in a V60 this is quite hard to do consistently without the right equipment.
That's interesting, thanks. I was thinking about getting a V60 to use alongside my Aeropress, but I don't want to invest in swan neck kettles or other kit apart from the brewer itself, so this sounds simpler and I might reconsider.

Yes! Daily ...

I have a large (pint mug) coffee in the morning, which I'm usually still drinking (cold) by the afternoon. I use the two cup version and filter papers (from Esedia Express on eBay). I do have a swan-neck kettle (stovetop with a temperature probe), but I also want to get on with my life ... so, good heap of coffee in the filter, pour on some water and let it "bloom" to release to flavour oils, then I tend to just keep the water moving by pouring straight out of the kettle. Couple of minutes and I can get on with my life. I guess if I actually liked coffee*, I might be inclined to buy nice beans, grind 'em and swan-neck the heck out of it like the hipster I'm not.

* I do ... but find coffee a bit meh? and so just buy anything with a lot of robusta in it, so it's a bit like a morning coffee and cigarettes without having to smoke. My usual is Lavazza Crema Gusto or Taylors Hot Lava Java, both mucho robusta!

Yes! Daily ...

I have a large (pint mug) coffee in the morning, which I'm usually still drinking (cold) by the afternoon. I use the two cup version and filter papers (from Esedia Express on eBay). I do have a swan-neck kettle (stovetop with a temperature probe), but I also want to get on with my life ... so, good heap of coffee in the filter, pour on some water and let it "bloom" to release to flavour oils, then I tend to just keep the water moving by pouring straight out of the kettle. Couple of minutes and I can get on with my life. I guess if I actually liked coffee*, I might be inclined to buy nice beans, grind 'em and swan-neck the heck out of it like the hipster I'm not.

* I do ... but find coffee a bit meh? and so just buy anything with a lot of robusta in it, so it's a bit like a morning coffee and cigarettes without having to smoke. My usual is Lavazza Crema Gusto or Taylors Hot Lava Java, both mucho robusta!
That's exactly the approach I have in mind, I don't really buy into the coffee geekery but do like a half decent coffee.

The Clever Dripper on the other hand is an immersion brewer which makes it much easier to get a good extraction without needing to worry as much about technique and grind size etc. Here's a good overview by coffee nerd James Hoffmann

If you really want to go down the extraction rabbit hole there's also this video.

The Clever is a bit harder to find, Clifton Coffee Roasters is the cheapest place selling them at the moment I think.
Looks interesting and easy to use, I'll investigate :)

If you’re only making one cup I’d suggest an aeropress for more consistent results. I like the v60 but do tend to end up with it clogging up and not draining away which I believe might be due to how I’m pouring but I don’t have a swan neck kettle

If you’re only making one cup I’d suggest an aeropress for more consistent results. I like the v60 but do tend to end up with it clogging up and not draining away which I believe might be due to how I’m pouring but I don’t have a swan neck kettle
I had an aeropress but ended up breaking it. I'm just looking for convenience, and I've ended up getting a V60. Didn't really cost a great deal so not a biggie if I don't get on with it.

Back
Top Bottom