Utter Newbie - open to advice

It will help you along your straight razor journey to start off with a shave ready blade, then you have a reference. Getting a blade shave ready from eBay without any prior knowledge will be slim odds. My first straight razor was from Billy, @Fergiebilly

He may be able to help you out, either with a razor or getting your first purchase truly shave ready.

Good luck & enjoy, there will be some frustrations for sure, practise, practise & practise. Soon enough, you'll be straight razor ninja.

If You are Looking for a Starter SR that has a Superb Shaving Edge PM Me....Honing Razors has Little in Common with Honing Knifes....Welcome to the Forum from Glasgow...

Billy

A shave ready blade (it will be as good as it gets) from Billy will be the best money you will spend on this hobby/obsession, trust me.

You have to start right, knowing what a shave ready blade feels like is fundamental to learning how to strop, shave etc.

Hey Welcome Jay! Hope you're doing good today... did you try Safety Razor?

Welcome to TSR! I'm not at all ready for a straight razor... I've had my fair share of blood laden shaves just with safety razors! You're a braver man than me! Good luck with your straight razor journey. May your learning curve be as shallow as your shaving angle.