Using moisturiser as a pre-shave

I recently went for a shave at Trumpers and the master barber put moisturising cream on my face before the hot towel. This was followed up by skin food and then the lather. Despite a very rough feeling shave (lot of tugging), the results were excellent and I had zero irritation on my face.

So I have recenly tried putting Nivea Soft (a very inexpensive moisturiser) on my dry face before jumping in the shower. Then lathering up on wet skin. The results have been superb. Great shave and again zero irritation. I highly recommend you try it. Note this is not about creating a slick surface on your skin, but rather making your skin more flexible (rather than dry and brittle and therefore more likely to cut). That also means you should rub it in fully and it doesnt matter if you wet your skin before applying the lather.

Interestingly, Trumpers own moisturising cream is supposed to clean your skin too. So no need to wash your face first either.

The only thing that I have tried before a shave, apart from water and soap, is the Trumper Skin Food. It didn't seem to make a discernable difference, apart from making me leave the house later.

Having said that, if the moisturiser thing is working for you, go ahead. I might even try it myself.

Ian

I use a tube of Tea Tree hair condioner that my wife had lying around and never uses. I just put a tiny blob on my hands and massage into the wetted stubble. I then use soap/cream of choice either straight on my chops or in a small bowl.

I have only been DE shavin a month or two and I have only had razor burn once and that was on my first shave so it seems to work for me.

I have stacks (my wife used to work for them) of Sanex 'for men' moisturiser than is quite thick stuff. I use it before the hot flannel when shaving in the winter and it really makes a difference.

I start by covering my beard with a thinnish lather from an 'inferior' shaving soap, and let that soak in while I whip up a decent lather from a 'real' shaving soap. Apply the first lather on top of the thinnish 'inferior soap' lather and make a first pass. After that, I put a little after shave balm on my chin before each subsequent lathering.

Tried lots of different stuff. And (gonna sit on the fence) washing with a little shaving cream or soap is as good as any. Moisturiser is good as well, but applied well in advance. Do both.

I often use a little moisturizer pre shave as well , but at least an hour pre shave.. gives it a bit of time to soak in.
Might be a load of fetid dingos kidneys.. but i like to think it helps a little.

henkverhaar said:
I start by covering my beard with a thinnish lather from an 'inferior' shaving soap, and let that soak in while I whip up a decent lather from a 'real' shaving soap. Apply the first lather on top of the thinnish 'inferior soap' lather and make a first pass. After that, I put a little after shave balm on my chin before each subsequent lathering.
Hi henk! ..Our next door neighbour has a Boxer dog, and at different times of the day,usually after a good bark, it's jowels are hanging with foamy slime. If the timing is right and "Rocky" is around, I can usually get hold of some of this slime,-dependant on Rocky's mood of course! So with one hand full of this wonderful stuff, I can use my other hand to slosh some hot water onto my face. Then on with Rocky's "goo" followed by some Erasmic cream-not stick, and the end result is an absolutely wonderful shave, regardless of what razor or blade I use, culminating in BBS - OH YEAH!! OH YEAH!! However, I notice results are not quite so satisfactory if I obtain my special slime after Rocky has been "cleaning" himself, smells a bit "off" as well. I shall have to talk to the dog's owner and see if he can do something about that little problem for me...

spandex.. :) :roll:

On an entirely different quest, I came across this formula, that may well make an interesting pre-shave moisturizer:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.makingcosmetics.com/sample-recipes/recipe-sucrose-cocoate.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.makingcosmetics.com/sample-r ... ocoate.pdf</a><!-- m -->

Background: We've been asked to support a company with the registration of sucrose esters as a food ingredient. These fall under E473 as food additives, but are also used as mild detergents. I remembered that I have a small supply of sucrose cocoate (called sanfteen) as an ingredient for an after shave formula that didn't quite work out. So I started googling sucrose cocoate, and found this...

I use some old moisturiser that I bought years ago for my hands, thin coat of that and leave it on for a while (anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour depending on what I get distracted by) and then the usual routine. It seems a bit pointless as I always wash it off before lathering, but so far the overall effect works well.

Back
Top Bottom