Used razor blades sliding out of the tray

Have you ever had a used razor blade slide out of the bottom part of the tray? This happened to me a few days ago when I was putting a fresh blade in to my razor. The old blade slid out and cut my finger. It was a Derby blade. One way to solve this problem was to put sellotape across the opening for the used blades, then cut the tape slightly leaving some over the opening. Then, slide the used blade back in. The sellotape then folds into the tray causing the opening to be narrower, and this stops blades from sliding out.

Razor blades aren't recyclable unfortunately, they're too small plus you're mixing metals. (Alu plus steel, at least).
You've got the right idea about safe disposal though Paul, I think most of us have a blade bank that accepts hundreds of old blades but won't let them back out. I use a glass jam jar with the lid superglued on, and with a little slot cut in the lid.

Canuck said:
Razor blades aren't recyclable unfortunately, they're too small plus you're mixing metals.

The mixing metals part is true but I doubt it's an issue - where I used to work we recycled the swarf from machining which is considerably smaller than a razor blade....

The first thing they do with most metal recycling processes is to "atomise" it - it's easier to handle the tiny bits than complete old bike frames etc. - the atomised stuff is also easily sorted into fractions so it can probably cope with a completely mixed ferrous/non-ferrous input stream too.

Safe disposal is the key thing, even used blades are still sharp enough to cause injury. I am using an empty cotton buds container with lid taped on securely. I was under the impression metals are sorted by type using large magnets, so an aluminium can stuck to the magnet may have them scratching their heads. :) Joking apart, I'm not sure blades make it to the recycling stage as they are put in general waste which usually goes straight to the land fill. It's a bit like green glass and brown glass, which my local council has us separate, then puts it all together in one container at the depot before selling it on for recycling. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom