UK meteorology

Cheers, he's taking antibiotics and new medication and he has an appointment with a urologist. He's OK during the day but he struggles to get much sleep at present.
Yes, you don't realise how important sleep is untill you struggle to get enough, something I battle with every night, I hope things improve for your Dad soon. P.

This morning's view from Malcolm (GFS outputs first):

What's the reckoning on snow for the weekend?
More likely further east, I'd have thought, Colum, as it's going to be an easterly flow, however, with the increased UV output you'd expect by mid-March, diurnal heating of the ground will tend to increase lower-level instability, so wintry showers may well set-off further inland than normal in an easterly flow. Given your altitude above sea level, if you do see shpwers, I'd expect they'd be of snow. One fortunate aspect of it is that it shouldn't last beyond Monday if my understanding is correct.

I just thought I'd post this complex FAX chart as it's an example of what the senior forecasters at the Met Office produce nowadays. I say that as our retired Met Office forecaster and Malcolm, the ex-Met man whose posts I quote, have moaned that several of the short sections of fronts on these charts are superficial and don't seem to follow meteorological logic, especially where there are several close together in a relatively small area. You can, however, see the front that cleared my are (east of England) earlier and the small ridge of higher pressure in the isobars that has given many areas a nice day:

There could be a great deal of rain for Johnny and possibly the Count as well today:

From the ECM:

Finally, the FAX charts for the end of the week, showing occluded fronts moving south-west in a strong easterly-south-easterly flow, suggesting precipitation and cold upper temperatures:
The updated morning fax's through Friday/Saturday and the indications of snow showers on Saturday. What one would call the morning clarification