UK meteorology

Malcolm also included the following 48 hour surface forecast chart from the States, showing the current positions of depressions and where they are expected to end-up in 48 hour's time:

Saturday post:

Updated FAX chart from 0600 hours (note upper-level warm front across the England/Scotland border, the main warm front across the North Midlands/north of England, with the southern part of the country in the warm sector between that main warm front and the cold front which, at this stage, was south-west of Cornwall):

Malcolm's post for Sunday:

First of all today, here is Malcolm's post from yesterday evening on the anomaliesL

Here are his thoughts this morning on the main operational NWP models:

Here's the latest FAX output showing a mass of occlusions associated with several weakening static depressions which are leaving the upper trough to our west and decaying over the UK as they hit the blocking area of high pressure over Scandinavia:

My dad's health continues to be a concern, and it isn't helping my anxiety either. It's therefore possible that I might not be around for a while, or my contributions might be intermittent. To complete my 'lesson' posts on areas of low pressure, U thought I'd post a diagram of a Cut-Off Low (abbreviated in the diagram to COL), which is a low which ends up to the south of the jet, usually as a result of the jet streak accelerating and, rather than curving to the south of the low centre, cutting straight across the north of it.

Here is a simplified chart for an actual cut-off low over southern California in 2005:

Last edited:
Update from Malcolm, with the ECM showing a different orientation for the upper trough by the weekend which would draw in a colder easterly flow, while the GFS shows the trough with a less-pronounced negative tilt, therefore pulling in a warmer south-easterly:

Tonight's anomalies:

You take out as much time as is needed C. Best wishes to you Dad.