UK meteorology

Further to that lesson, and the link I posted, here's a section from the same website that goes into greater detail regarding positive vorticity, which I mentioned:
http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints2/575/
I'll write a similar lesson post on areas of high pressure soon; possibly over the weekend.

couple of savage days in Lincs - couldn't get to work today and we're declared closed tomorrow

Managed to get to work at Immingham this morning but it was touch and go whether I'd manage the journey at one point. A bit of consolation, it was much easier driving back this evening with the roads being generally dry.

Easier than the job we did this evening on the Humber, with the wind driving the river against the ebb tide in to quite lumpy waters one doesn't usually expect on a river.

The river Fal can be proper lumpy driving against an an ebb tide, tiz surprising! So I know what you mean about the road being easier. P.

Got to work today with little problems, top lane cut through drifts higher than the car in a couple of places. Easy journey by comparison though. On another note it isn't easy getting chains off when the wheel arch is packed with dirty snow.
Most weather fun I've had in years!

Today's post (part1) - don't worry about the second and third diagrams - they're Skew-T plots taken from soundings of the upper atmosphere, and I have yet to fully understand how to interpret them!:

Part 2:

Havoc here with the snow. no buses very few cars. going by the forecast not sure if i will be working on Monday either. .
Took a walk to local supermarket for essentials. beer, wine and pork scratchings. Well it is the weekend.