UK meteorology

He has since posted this, discussing the rest of today using up-to-date output charts and the latest FAX:

With Malcolm, we get post on a Sunday:

Well, last night's winds were worse than the so-called/named storms we've had so far this year.
Naming criteria are complex, it isn't purely based on windspeed but also on calcilated impact. That said, there has already been a deep low this season so far that "bombed" over the UK but which wasn't named as the forecasts all indicated that it wouldn't deepen that rapidly until it was over the North Sea. Forecasting is incredibly difficult and there will always be mistakes as the complexity of the interactions between various drivers and influences over even 24 hours mean that, though the overall set up is fairly predictable, trying to determine whether something will happen over the UK or in the North Sea can come down to 20 miles either way, which to the layman seems quite a generous margin for error, but, with current data and computing power is a very narrow margin.

Met Office warning overnight covering Wales, SW England and the Midlands:
Between 17:00 Sun 11th and 10:00 Mon 12th
Icy patches are expected to form on untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths on Sunday night and Monday morning. This is likely to lead to some injuries from slips and falls.

Also, for tomorrow affecting N. Wales, N. Ireland, NW England and N. and W. Scotland:

Today's post from Malcolm on the Netweather forum:

This morning's thoughts, including what would normallly have been yesterday evening's anomaly post (my notes in bold):

Quick early evening update from Malcolm, with indications becoming more likely (though not yet certain) that the weekend will be dry and comparatively mild, at least away from the far north-west (though Johnny will no doubt be interested to hear that even his area should be dry on Saturday!)

Fantastic stars last night and a good layer of frost this morning. Unfortunately the stars were too twinkly to make it worth an hour with the telescope but hey ho. Less wind and rain sounds good.
I didn't know you were an astronomer, Colum! I must admit I've never found astronomy that interesting, though I do appreciate a clear night when they're in view - sadly, being only a few miles south of Norwich, the northern sky is obscured by a constant glow after dark.
Anyway, this is a meteorology thread not an astronomical one, so here's today's post from Malcolm: