UK meteorology

From this morning:

FYI, in today's 72 hour post from the usual chap I quote, he mentions a "ramp thread" - this is somewhere on the Netweather forum where model discussion that isn't objective is posted. In this context, ramping is a weather forum term for emphasising a particular signal or weather type showing on the models; usually as the poster likes that set-up or becase they know others reading the thread don't. It's rather like a weather forum equivalent of us saying "YMMV" or discussing acquisition disorders. You don't need to know this, but I thought I'd explain as it might be rather confusing!

Last edited:
Given that I've been following the short-range +72 hour model thread for a while now, I haven't been keeping up to date with the medium-range discussion. It appears that later next week might well go cold and wintry for a period - here's a quick post from Netweather's chief forecaster in the model thread:

He's discussing the second of four runs of the American GFS model here (they're numbered based on the time in UTC at which the runs are initiated, hence 00z at midnight, 06z at 6 a.m., 12z at mid-day and 18z in the evening), and, to give you an idea, -10C temperatures at the 850hPa pressure height (shortened to T850) is cold enough for snow almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Today's post, with text in bold being my explanation of the terms the chap used (click on the chart thumbnail images as usual to view them full-size):

Attention BM - Met Office warning for rain in Cornwall due to the stalling cold front:

Although some details on the FAX charts have since changed, apparently, I'll post the usual chap's thoughts, and add the new FAX chart in a separate quote below:

This morning's post from the usual NW member: