UK meteorology

I won't be posting much here over the main festive period, though I will link one or two posts from the usual Netweather members. I'll check this evening as to whether the models are still showing an Atlantic storm for Boxing Day: I haven't checked since yesterday and 24 hours is a lengthy period of time in meteorology!

Although the following article is from the US, and refers to previous blog posts on the El Nino Southern Oscillation which I haven't linked previously, I thought I'd post it as it explains the Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO). This has an effect on winter weather in the UK, with phases 7, 8 and 1 being most conducive to cold and/or snow via. blocking areas of High pressure in the mid-high latitudes of the Atlantic:

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/what-mjo-and-why-do-we-care

Last edited:
Today's thoughts from the usual chap:

Netweather's chief forecaster on Boxing Day prospects:

Just a quick Christmas Day post to quote our usual member:

Usual member again:

His post this morning will be familiar to those who've read the two previous ones I've quoted:

Sadly, no ECM this morning thanks to a power supply problem to their supercomputer.

As usual:

He goes on to point out that the ECM is fairly similar.

There is a rapidly-changing and complex set-up for the next few days - the usal Netweather member has performed his usual analysis of today's early GFS and ECM outputs, but it's complicated:

Interesting, though slightly technical post from Netweather's chief forecaster on a pivotal period around 5th of January:

In addition to those thoughts, here's the usual post:

Met Office have released an amber warning for the latest named storm tomorrow:
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2017-12-31

Oh dearie me, looks as if Storm Eleanor is set to give west Scotland a drubbing tonight. Batten down the hatches and don the oilskins I fear.

JohnnyO. o/
It's going to be further south, Johnny, affecting only the far SW tip of Scotland. To give you an idea of how far south the warning area has moved, I'm under it!