UK meteorology

Beyond the mild and (in the south at least) dry conditions between now and Christmas, the festive period itself and the immediate susequent period appear to be likely to be wet and windy, however, there seems to be increasing evidence that the unseasonable warmth may not last for long once this unsettled period becomes established.

I'm struggling with anxiety again, but I thought I'd post this from the Netweather forum as it discusses a newly-emerging possibility in the models forb something colder around Christmas:

I didn't really see much of here of recent years thanks to her declining health and the fact that her home was inaccessible to me in my wheelchair, so I'm not sure I'm going to have that massive hit of sadness. I think just after Christmas will be hard as I always used to call her to thank her for my card, and we used to have a nice chat. I'll miss that more than anything else, I think. Thanks for your thoughts, though.

Back to the weather, the usual Netweather member I quote has reappeard with this post:

This morning's opinion...

Shame, I actually got a pretty good view of the Orion Nebula through the binoculars and was hoping to get the telescope out later in the week.
Unfortunately, the temperature inversion and resultant cloud isn't likely to clear until stormier conditions arrive around Christmas. It's the sort of weather I hate at this time of year - damp, grey and gloomy but without the interest or invigorating effects of strong winds or even heavy rain.

Interesting an, thankfully, short post on Netweather:

Boxing day is always stormy in Glasgow ... oh, and the weather is often fairly wild also.
JohnnyO. o/
LOL! I wouldn't have suggested that as I'd have been concerned that I'd be accused of being a racist Sassenach!
Just thought I'd post the following short comment from NW's senior forecaster:

What this means is that, as 144 hours out from this morning, the output from the main deterministic US and European models differed in the extent of the ridge generated by a predicted negative phase of the Eastern Pacific Oscillation (EPO). If high pressure is able to ridge from the North Pacific across the Pole and into Greenland, it seems likely to divide the Polar Vortex and encourage blocking in the mid- to upper latitiudes, which would, in turn, increase the chances/risk of cold conditions in Western Europe due to the Jet being distorted and the Atlantic flow weakening. Here's a link that descrbes the EPO:
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/epo-what-you-need-to-know/43796/0

Last edited: