UK meteorology

It seems that, after a brief mild spell on Wednesday/Thursday, next weekend will be chilly (though nothing like as snowy as some have had this weekend), before a change in the jetstream takes effect, bringing much more typical Atlantic zonal conditions, with average temperatures and rain (more so in the north and west) up to and possibly through Christmas. Personally, I suspect that will remain the pattern through the rest of winter, as, once a vortex lobe positions itself over Greenland, it often stays there into spring, however, some of those who study the global patterns and oscillations suspect that it won't last long. Whether they're correct remains to be seen, but I'd be surprised if anywhere bar the Highlands see a White Christmas; cloudy, mild and damp is much more likely.

What's going to cause this shift to milder conditions? It's a change in the wave number of the polar jet (which I dewcribed way back several months ago in a 'lesson' post) and its effect on the Pacific North American (PNA) pattern, shifting it from a positive phase to a negative one. Here's an excellent post from Netweather explaining what that means:

After my aunt's funeral and getting frozen cold yesterday, I'm feeling rough today, so I'll just quickly mention that the models suggest a warm-up at the start of next week after a chilly few days with snow over high ground in the north. At present, the models are struggling to work out how long this milder, Atlantic-influenced weather will be. It's likely to lead to mild, even warm conditions and mainly dry weather in the south-east (low teens possible), with wetter, windier conditions in the north-west.

I hope you are feeling better or at least less rough soon Chris. Take care.

Something of a change in the models last night and this morning. While the period through until Christmas hasn't changed since I posted yesterday, the development from then through to the first week or so of January seems much less likely to turn cold. Instead, a switch to wet and windy Atlantic-driven zonality, with low pressures moving across the UK in rapid succession giving all of us some very wet and windy conditions seems the preferred evolution, though cold conditions are still a possibility. Dare I say that January has a winter of 2013/14 feel to it (flooding in the West Country and high winds)?

Further to the above, here's an interesting post from a knowledgeable Netweather member, though bear in mind that he has a bias towards cold weather at this time of year: