UK meteorology

Sounds like something you'd find in a Bram Stoker novel.

Don't tell us ... and then you have breakfast and a close shave !

JohnnyO. o/

I must mention that the change in model output for next week has been dramatic over the past 24 hours. It's gone from being a significant cold spell with snow for many to being extremely mild - I would be surprised to see daytime temperatures in the mid-teens in the south.

You would or wouldn't?.... Mid teens.

You would or wouldn't?.... Mid teens.
Sorry BM - that should have been "...wouldn't be surprised.."
Here's the usual post:

Further to explain why the outputs are shifting, Netweather's chief forecaster has made a rare forum post to explain that, with the jet divided into two different 'arms' - one north of the UK, one south of us, and unusually high pressure over the Pole (a negative AO, or Arctic Oscillation), the models cannot decide how far east of west the blocking high in the Atlantic will be, whether it'll drift over us and then sink south to its usual position over south-eastern Europe, and how much of the currently fairly weak jet stream energy leaving the US east coast heads into the northern arm, and how much into the southern arm. All this is leading the models to swing erratically from one possibility to another, all against the backdrop of an imminent linking between the stratospheric and tropospheric sections of the polar vortex and a likely pattern change in the position of longwaves troughs and ridges due to La Nina. You can see the divided jet over us in the output in his quoted post below:

Does that make any sense? I know it goes partly beyond what I've covered in my 'lecture' posts, but most of it is to do wit the vortex and longwave ridging and troughing of the jet, both of which I've covered (perhaps might be an idea to check back on some of those posts if you're uncertain?)

Yes Chris, it makes perfect sense, the weather could go this way or that! Cold or not so cold, have still got my long johns on standby and wellington boots are in use for dog walking as vey wet under foot. P.