UK meteorology

Dutton has posted an out-of-sequence video warning of wet and windy conditions in the north-west on Monday. It seems that the UK is due to sit in the base of a longwave trough, and, with a comparartively powerful (for the time of year) left exit from a jet streak heading into that trough, an area of low pressure is set to deepen fairly rapidly over the weekend:

Liam Dutton's been busy - he's posted a video on understanding synoptic charts. I've covered a fair bit of this already in my lessons, but I thought it might be a good reminder. I anticipate posting a short 'lesson' this coming week, covering how the Shapiro-Keyser model of cyclogenesis describes sting jets. After that, I'll go on to cover shortwave features, such as the 'trough' Dutton mentions in this video:

Very interesting indeed, thank you for posting

Shapiro you say Chris, well recall lusting after Helen in my youth ... now I'm studying weather patterns, time does inded bring changes.

JohnnyO. o/
I noticed that one - my parents are roughly your age and have spoken of her on many occasions. Shapiro-Keyser was the subject of my most recent lesson on cyclogenesis.