UK meteorology

Dull and damp, all good things come to an end!
Possibly quite showery tomorrow in the unstable airmass behind the fronts, on particular if we have any diurnal heating of the ground from sunlight which warms the boundary layer (first few dozens of metres of the air column) and thereby makes it buoyant.

On a not unrelated subject, though I am by no means knowledgeable in physics (I'm mathematically inept if nothing else), I do enjoy the Youtube channels fron Nottingham University, including the channel devoted to physics, and I thought I'd embed a new video of theirs on thunderstorm formation:

To the above point, here's tomorrow's forecast FAX, with the low still to the west of the UK and troughs in the cool, unstable north-westerly airmass:

Malcolm has posted a short analysis of the GEFS (American) and EPS (European) anomalies:

Another short post that is of particular interest to me from a regional perspective:

Malcolm's thoughts for the 27th:

FAX chart:

1 - Developing occlusion associated with surface low over southern UK
2 - Triple point, where cold front catches-up wityh the warm front and occludes as in the Norwegian Cyclone Model
3 - Upper cold front
4 - Developing low in base of longwave trough, though this won't affect us
5 - More lows forming in eastern Canada as part of the vortex, which may be strong enough to flatten any ridging of the Azores high.

Attachments

• 27 04 2018 FAX.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 7
Malcolm's post for 29th part 1:

Part 2:

Malcolm has posted something shorter today than normal: