UK based custom brush builders?

It is my 40th at the end of this year and I would like a decent brush for my birthday.

I primarily face-lather with hard soaps, so I would like a brush suitable for this. My budget would be up to 80 pounds.

I have been searching this forum and the net lots over the last few weeks and I had thought that I had settled on a semi-custom from Shavemac (I like their handles), then I discovered Penworks tonight and I really liked some of the gemstone brushes they had for sale.

However, they are all based outside the UK and if I ordered one then I would more than likely have to pay import duty and I am sorry but I would hate to have to do this as I am sick of paying taxes on virtually everything I buy out of post tax income.

Is there anyone UK based who could deliver something personalised for my birthday within budget? For this occasion I do not care about brand names, I would just like something that will perform and is personalised.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

There are a few brush makers on the forum, beejay, Henk, Fido... (hope I'm not forgetting anyone...)

I'm sure one of them could make you what you want, and probably get you something more personal than you'd get anywhere else :D

Max

There is a couple of custom brush makers on here(3 I believe) that will make you a brush like whatever you want.
Cant remember all of there nick names off my head so will let someone else fill that in.
See bet to it again

The three custom brush makers on here that I'm aware of are neocaligatio, beejay and henkverhaar. The first two are based in the UK, Henk in Holland. I've never had anything custom made but I'm sure those that have will chip in soon enough. I am maybe considering something as a little Christmas present to myself though, so it'll be interesting to see the replies.

neocaligatio, beejay and henkverhaar are the Custom Brush makers that i know of on here, i can only comment on beejay's work, he has made me one Wooden Brush to my specification and Restored a Butterscotch Brush for me, and both times he has surpassed my expectations with what he has produced for me, awsome work and at a very reasonable price........more than happy to recommend Bill to any of you guys :D

I have seen photo's of Henk's and Neo's work and that also looks like fantastic, so i'm sure if you choose one of these chaps they will see you right :D

I have a custom by Neo, it's the middle one in this pic:
mybrushes.jpg

It's an excellent brush. He's also restored a travel brush for me, and I couldn't be happier with that one, too.
Beejay and Henk both have excellent reputations, and having had other dealings with them I can say that they're both helpful gentlemen. Fido's brushes aren't customs but limited editions, and very good indeed. Hope that helps.

Adam D said:
I have been searching this forum and the net lots over the last few weeks and I had thought that I had settled on a semi-custom from Shavemac (I like their handles), then I discovered Penworks tonight and I really liked some of the gemstone brushes they had for sale.

However, they are all based outside the UK and if I ordered one then I would more than likely have to pay import duty

You wouldn't have to pay import duty on anything from the EU, so shavemac (German) should be fine in that respect...

I've seen only good things said of all the custom brush makers on here, so you would be sure to receive an excellent brush from any of them.

I've got a silvertip butterscotch brush from beejay, and it is excellent. It looked stunning in the photos that he sent, and it was even more stunning in reality. It performs very well too.

I have dropped Neo a PM and I hope to hear back from him soon.

The more I think about it the more I think I should go with a custom for my 40th as no-one will end up with one the same :)

I have had beejay make my custom set (see my current avatar). Henk is making a custom set - top secret until it's unveiled. And Neo is making a custom set, though he is delayed due to real estate/re-location issues at this point in time.

I hope he doesn't have to go lathe-less too long. Not for my set (though I eagerly await it's completion, I'm in no actual hurry, so no pressure for me there), so much as because, to me, it seems not only a great way for channelling his craftsmanship skills, but also, he has a what seems to be a genuine passion for this hobby.

All three of them do. I'm just glad my OCD helps them out by keeping them occupied at times. I am all heart some times.

Adam D said:
I have dropped Neo a PM and I hope to hear back from him soon.

The more I think about it the more I think I should go with a custom for my 40th as no-one will end up with one the same :)

Neo made me a fine brush, I recommend his work. :D

Adam,

Look forward to your custom! I've seen Neo's as well as others you'll be elated to say the least.

Urban Hermit said:
I have had beejay make my custom set (see my current avatar). Henk is making a custom set - top secret until it's unveiled. And Neo is making a custom set, though he is delayed due to real estate/re-location issues at this point in time.

I hope he doesn't have to go lathe-less too long. Not for my set (though I eagerly await it's completion, I'm in no actual hurry, so no pressure for me there), so much as because, to me, it seems not only a great way for channelling his craftsmanship skills, but also, he has a what seems to be a genuine passion for this hobby.

All three of them do. I'm just glad my OCD helps them out by keeping them occupied at times. I am all heart some times.

Please post them post them all when you do get them!

Back
Top Bottom