Ubuntu 10.4

I had a version of Ubuntu installed on a laptop for a while. It was great, things just 'worked', but eventually I needed to use something that Ubuntu couldn't, and had to go back to Windows.

Installing software can be a bit of a pain.

Ian.

I'm running an old version of Mint on this machine, which is a lightly tinkered-with Ubuntu derivative. I went with this instead of Ubuntu because of the software installation process (which bypasses Synaptic or "apt-get"), making it a bit easier for my wife to use, but otherwise I was more than impressed with Ubuntu. If you do wind up installing 10.4, I'd be interested to hear what you think. Given a faster machine, I'd be looking at Ubuntu, Mint or Debian, before other Linux distributions.

i am using it now as a matter of fact...its great to use..i run it alongside windows...i installed it thru the wubi installer as a dual boot..only mistake probably was using the 64bit version...due to some glitch installing flash into firefox

minor i know but it just works

also have the kubuntu interface to chop an change as i desire

i like it and tend to boot into here more than windows

I have Ubuntu 8.04 (I think) as a dual boot on this laptop however I have to runs some windows only custom made software for work so I rarely use it. I was impressed with it so 10.4 should be better.

When funds allow I will be putting together a media PC attached to our telly and will most likely use ubuntu for that.

Jeltz said:
When funds allow I will be putting together a media PC attached to our telly and will most likely use ubuntu for that.
I have exactly that, it uses Mythbuntu and works okay-ish, but its method of ripping CDs is extremely slow, and it stores them in some odd pattern so you can't always find songs you want in obvious places. Mind you, Windows can be the same.

I already use Ubuntu and have done for a while now. I didn't know anything about LInux a year or so ago but was working with a chap who was a Linux geek and he put me onto it. First I put Puppy Linux onto an old and beat up HP laptop. It was running Win98 but I spent £20 to up the ram and Puppy ran like lightning on it. It has since run Ubuntu 8.04, and it now has 10.4 on it but it's a bit sluggish, but the laptop is 10yrs+, so no shock there. With the new release of Puppy 5 I'm going to stick that on it and see how it goes.

On my main desktop I was running Win7RC, but then the PC died and I was looking to get back online on the cheap. I went out and got a bare-bones unit for £140. Stuck in a graphics card for £25 and upgraded the ram from 2 to 4Gb. My next problem was getting an OS up and running. I didn't have a legal copy of windows that I could use and I wasn't about to pay for it, so I gave Ubuntu a try and I've been using it ever since. I have to say that there hasn't been a moment where I've missed windows. I don't have an ipod so I'm not bothered about itunes and for everything else Linux has it covered.

As for 10.4 I like it but my PC doesn't. It's nowhere near as quick as it was with 9.10 and this is a dual core 4GB unit, so it should fly, but for some reason it doesn't. I do find myself staring at the screen saying "come on then, do something". Maybe I have a duff install? I might download another iso and try again.

I like the way that 10.4 looks. Lots owed to the Mac for that but that's not a problem for me (I'd have a Mac if the hardware wasn't so bloody expensive).

well i have a quad core x920 6 gig ram and it flies...about 8 seconds to boot and be working

for dual boot the easiest must be the wubi installer through windows way...double click wubi.exe and it will do the rest u choose what u want to install

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://wubi-installer.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://wubi-installer.org/</a><!-- m -->

it really does work

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ubuntu.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ubuntu.com/</a><!-- m -->

Download, burn cd, boot from cd. If you like it then install. I've got it on a usb stick and it will boot straight from that if needed.

I use it on my old laptop which lives in my man cave in the attic, I really like it. I especially like when I turn it on and it wants to give me a full upgrade for free, where my mac just tells me it wants more cash every so often.

Ubuntu One is looking good too, needs a bit of tweaking but it's still in beta. Synced online storage for free is rather appealing.

antdad said:
I'd like to try a Linux OS on a Vista laptop with dual boot just in case. What's the best way to get started?

As others have said, the wubi is the easiest way. If you don't like it you just remove from the add/remove list.

Back
Top Bottom