TTO razors

Hi everyone:

Just a quick question, thus far I've been de shaving for 6 months. I've settled for what soaps and creams to use but am still suffering from RAD. This far I've bought merkur and mhule razors, however can anyone suggest a decent quality tto razor just to mi things up as it were? Was looking at the parker 22r but now not so sure... any suggestions?

Bloomey said:
Hi everyone:

Just a quick question, thus far I've been de shaving for 6 months. I've settled for what soaps and creams to use but am still suffering from RAD. This far I've bought merkur and mhule razors, however can anyone suggest a decent quality tto razor just to mi things up as it were? Was looking at the parker 22r but now not so sure... any suggestions?

PM frenchblade would be a good idea, I have had 3 off of him good prices and a nice bloke to deal with.

get the flairtip - its a cracking razor and miles better made than any TTO made today. He's also a good guy to deal with.
If you don't get on with it you can sell it back on here for what you paid.

If you prefer new then I can thoroughly recommend a Mergress. Basically a "sorted" Merkur Progress. Available from Lees Razors in the US or directly from Eric Mer on Badger and Blade. The plastic knob is replaced with a metal one and the blade gap calibrations are corrected. It is my only DE razor now and I love it. 1st pass on 2 then up to 4 results in BBS every time. Gillette 7 o'clock yellows work best in it for me. Mine came from Lees and any extra charges during shipping were avoided on request which was nice of him. Works out at £67 buying and shipping directly and took IIRC 10 days door to door.

I've even had nasty thoughts of buying a back up one lately but I'm managing to pin that demon down!

Bloomey said:
This far I've bought merkur and mhule razors, however can anyone suggest a decent quality tto razor just to mi things up as it were? Was looking at the parker 22r but now not so sure... any suggestions?
simmo3801 said:
If you prefer new then I can thoroughly recommend a Mergress.
Don't want to call you out simmo.. but I think the Progress/Mergress is not a TTO ;) The Merkur Vision is a TTO though. (75 -90 quid depending on seller)
I do like the look of the Vision, I think it's quite original (and I would love one in my collection)
As you said Parker also make new TTOs, and so does Timor/Giesen & Forsthoff (which is basically a Weishi), I think you can rule out the Weishi, since decent quality is not how I'd describe it..
(had one, was piffed to the Greek)

If you want to go vintage, most people go for a SuperSpeed or Rocket, and later on get a Slim Adjustable.
The main advantage with vintage, you get a lot more build quality for your money. (for the price of a Timor you get a vintage SuperSpeed in good condition)
The disadvantage is that it is second/third hand, and not all people like the idea of that. (which I can understand)

But I agree, TTO are just cool looking when you open them ;) (geek factor!)

Max

Back
Top Bottom