Tribute to Stirling

5584C442-30AA-41EC-8F5E-4EB88D889E49.jpeg
I’m something of a Stirling fan these days. The scents are great but more importantly, when paired with my Yaqi Brush and Giles bowl, they seem to lather more effortlessly than anything else I’ve tried.

Right now my gotos are Glacial Satsuma when I need that refreshing chill, and Haverford when it’s a little colder.
My wife despairs of those wee green tubs taking over our cramped bathroom cabinet.

Wait until she sees the 1300 GSB blades in a hario tub in my bottom drawer.

View attachment 65607
I’m something of a Stirling fan these days. The scents are great but more importantly, when paired with my Yaqi Brush and Giles bowl, they seem to lather more effortlessly than anything else I’ve tried.

Right now my gotos are Glacial Satsuma when I need that refreshing chill, and Haverford when it’s a little colder.
My wife despairs of those wee green tubs taking over our cramped bathroom cabinet.

Wait until she sees the 1300 GSB blades in a hario tub in my bottom drawer.
I’ve been trying to find the super cold version of Margaritas in the Arctic, but no joy yet.

It’s called the glacial edition see on the arm of the polar bear?

FB873FB6-A24D-4DE8-901E-CD064C81897E.jpeg

I’m a big fan of Stirling and the matching balms, I have:

Sharp Dressed Man
Haverford
Barbershop
Baker Street
Pharaoh’s Dreamsicle
Sandalwood

Got a feeling I’ll end up with most of them :)

Stirling is a very good soap, BUT it becomes a great soap when you load it with water right up to the breaking point. This is an interesting characteristic for many great tallow soaps, i.e., hydrophilic. I often wonder if some pass on some soaps for lack of proper hydration. :unsure:

I have only Gentleman and the matching AS... The soap is great, the scent although distinctive and classy, especially in the AS is a bit overwhelming, especially for my wife... Are all the scents so powerful and persistent?

Not all, which is usually told in their descriptions, but if in doubt send them an e-mail as he is as honest as the day is long and will reply.

On the other hand, a strong masculine scent may attract young beautiful women, so don't be hasty. :cool:

:ROFLMAO: ;)

Stirling is a very good soap, BUT it becomes a great soap when you load it with water right up to the breaking point. This is an interesting characteristic for many great tallow soaps, i.e., hydrophilic. I often wonder if some pass on some soaps for lack of proper hydration. :unsure:
I discovered this also quite by accident.
I added in what I thought was too much water and just went ahead and lathered up anyway

stirlingsmall.jpg

I'm quite partial to Stirling's soaps...

I've only had one which I didn't like, the Gin & Tonic. This didn't work for me, as it smelled like floor polish with a reminiscent scent of bleach used on my school's halls and corridors. Not good.

All of the others, from citrus scents through cologne based clones and original scents are fantastic. If I had to pick my top three, I'd select the Iced Pineapple, Haverford and Arkadia. The Baker Street is also worth a mention and the Executive Man is an excellent Aventus clone. I find it best to lather them using natural brushes, given the hardness of the pucks. Load the brush with plenty of soap and the rewards will be great cushion.

2 questions:
1) where do you get the small pucks from? In mainland EU I only find the full size jar, which is a lot... or too much if you get tired of the scent?
2) what would you suggest to try after Stirling Gentleman to remain in that kind of scent type? I don't have a lot ox experience, but I like classic lavender after shaves (Atkinsons English lavender) or Old Spice... I am not for the too exotic. I also have Alvarez Gomez which I like a lot...
Thanks for your suggestions!

Last edited:
2 questions:
1) where do you get the small pucks from? In mainland EU I only find the full size jar, which is a lot... or too much if you get tired of the scent?
2) what would you suggest to try after Stirling Gentleman to remain in that kind of scent type? I don't have a lot ox experience, but I like classic lavender after shaves (Atkinsons English lavender) or Old Spice... I am not for the too exotic. I also have Alvarez Gomez which I like a lot...
Thanks for your suggestions!
@mrasparini , Shaving Time in the UK have the samples for £4.50 each, and you're right - I found them the right size for a good few shaves without the commitment to full jars. They ship to EU too.

I getting more and more convinced to try the unscented soap "naked and smooth"... then I have all flexibility to use whatever AS I like, including those of Stirling (which are excellent).
At the end of the day, why do you need dozens of differently scented soaps? Isn't the 'end' scent coming from the AS?

Back
Top Bottom