Treet classic: it's a carbon or stainless blades?

Yes, please! Post up your thoughts on side-by-side comparison. What if you shaved half of your face with a Classic and the other half with a DuraSharp, so both blades were used one the same day with the same prep and software?

Day 1 shave yesterday night: Pearl Flexi V7, 2 passes: 1st at 4, 2nd at 3 like usual, OSP belgravia barbershop soap (i went with one of my top). My usual preparation, a hot shower and glycerin soap face wash. I shaved half of my face with a brand new Classic and the other half with a brand new Durasharp. Both were hand stropped 5 times per edge.

I have to admit that both are too close in performance for me, but they are definitely not the same blade (or at least not these particular ones for my face). Both of them gave me a nice smooth pleasant shave but i felt durasharp sharper. Classic is less sharp still very smooth for me. Durasharp seems to have the marginal nice sharpness that my face can afford in a daily shave (e.g. i don't use nacets and londonbridge for daily shave, i find them too sharp for my face and i have some irritations in my chin, have to go every other day shave with them).

I will go for a half/half day 2 and day3 test and come back (its a bit tiring to change 3 times a blade in the same shave ... :) ). Thinking of keeping everything as is.

Good results from a first run - so, similar performance, different feel on the face and the DuraSharp feels to be the better finished. Good work!

I mentioned above that one consideration might be for the intended market - Barbershop or home shaver. When I've compared the likes of an "Economy" blade intended for Barbershop use against the "Super Stainless" intended for the homeshaver, I've felt the difference on the first shave but by the second and certainly by the third, they are feeling very much the same. I'm thinking SuperMax Economy Stainless (burgundy pack) vs Super Stainless (green/yellow pack) or Wilkinson Sword Economie (yellow writing on the pack) vs Super Stainless (regular pack). I think the extra finishing on the packs intended for non-professional use is better and very evident in the first shave.

... so, it will be very interesting to know what you think of the second and third shaves.

I'm putting together the comments that we had from Connaught that these are the same blade with what we read from the supposed Gillette insider who said that Gillette only make three blades. Well, this all might well be true - the Classic and the DuraSharp might well be absolutely the same blade, but the grind, finish and coating makes ALL the difference. Double-stropped for a smoother (domestic) finish and double-coated for a super-glide.

Consider also the two blades that I showed above - same blade, but are they for difference geographical markets or for different intentions. I think the New Steel is better finished and intended for home shavers, while the burgundy pack is clearly picking up on the Barbershop favourite "kala" (Black) blade stylings and I would guess intended more for professional use. The writing on the blade is clearly better on the New Steel, more rough and ready on the "New Treet".

Let's see how you find the second and third shaves. Will they come together in terms of performance and feel?

Day 2 shave yesterday night. Day 3 shave today just completed. Kept my whole setup yesterday same with day 1(Pearl Flexi V7, 2 passes: 1st at 4, 2nd at 3, OSP belgravia barbershop soap, half of my face with the Classic and the other half with DuraSharp) . Today at Day 3 shave I decided to change the soap and go with something more basic, proraso red cream, to check if the blades still deliver.

Both blades have the same performance and smoothness in my face and stayed the same in all 3 shaves. No irritation in both sides. As I mentioned 2 days ago, durasharp is slightly sharper than classic. Actually in the 2nd shave I had a tiny nick in the durasharp side.

I will choose classic as my daily driver since I dont need the extra sharpness that durasharp has.

Last edited:
I am honestly blown away by the level of detail, discernment and knowledge, where people can remember how X blade compared to Y blade in such and such a razor, even to be able to take a fairly accurate guess at country of manufacture or coating/materials. Hats off to you. With straights, every day is slightly different and I only have 2 DE razors, so far only tried WS and Nacets. Yes I can tell I prefer the Nacets but that's about it. I guess if I shaved DE every day for years I'd have more of a feel for these things. Anyway I have about 6 different tucks of DE blades to try but with all the straights in my rotation it'll take me another year to use the DEs up, never mind tell one from another blindfold!

Back
Top Bottom