Treet classic: it's a carbon or stainless blades?

Hi,
I am in the process of trying the treet blades from a sampler. Already tried black beauties, durasharp yellow, silver and classic and still to try extra tez and platinum ss.
I liked classic, durasharp and silver and I cannot tell the difference from each other.

Today in a Greek fb group, we had a discussion and a friend mentioned that classic have changed and are not carbon anymore! I was shocked and checked mine, it mentions actually "hi tech steel" blade. And afterwards he send me these 2 photos of the 2 package versions. I have the "affordable luxury" one and there is no carbon mention in the package. Anyone know more details on this? Is it just packaging or they are actually SS?

FB_IMG_1635185448095.jpg
FB_IMG_1635185451601.jpg

I recall some months ago @Paul (of Connaught Shaving) spoke of the Classic as being the same blade as the DuraSharp. Note that the DuraSharp is billed as a "Hi Tech" blade and now the Classic is written up as "Hi Tech Steel" on the back of the wrapper. I think the old-style was indeed a basic carbon blade, while the DuraSharp was a more high-tech production ...

I would wager that the Classic is still a carbon blade, but just not written up as so. Now, it's using the same technology that has made the DuraSharp a quite special blade and the same technology that we're seeing in the likes of the Silver and New Edge. Don't expect to find out by leaving a wet blade out to see if it goes rusty < I did just this with a Silver and it didn't go rusty.

Whatever they're doing, they clearly have a new process and it's taking carbon steel and making it behave like stainless.

I recall some months ago @Paul (of Connaught Shaving) spoke of the Classic as being the same blade as the DuraSharp. Note that the DuraSharp is billed as a "Hi Tech" blade and now the Classic is written up as "Hi Tech Steel" on the back of the wrapper. I think the old-style was indeed a basic carbon blade, while the DuraSharp was a more high-tech production ...

I would wager that the Classic is still a carbon blade, but just not written up as so. Now, it's using the same technology that has made the DuraSharp a quite special blade and the same technology that we're seeing in the likes of the Silver and New Edge. Don't expect to find out by leaving a wet blade out to see if it goes rusty < I did just this with a Silver and it didn't go rusty.

Whatever they're doing, they clearly have a new process and it's taking carbon steel and making it behave like stainless.

Was planning to do the rust experiment tonight Will leave some water drops in one of them to check for rust. Actually I have seen both Paul's post that mentioned that classic = durasharp and one of your older posts in atgshaving with a table with all the treets. Classic was carbon/ptfe in the table.

It's shave really good in my Pearl flexi, evn if it is ss

I don't think we can trust face-feel now to distinguish between carbon and stainless any more. It used to be a night and day thing to my face but having shaved with the (new technology) Silver, it felt very much like a Russian stainless blade.

Yeah, leave one to see if it rusts ...

The Treet Classic and the Yellow Dura Sharp are definitely not the same blade, the latter is quite a bit sharper.

Both are carbon steel.

The Treet Classic and the Yellow Dura Sharp are definitely not the same blade, the latter is quite a bit sharper.

Both are carbon steel.

I absolutely agree ... comparing the Treet Classic (that I had) against the DuraSharp. Completely different. But, look at the two packs above. I've not used the new style pack so can't comment on the actual shave, but I think there's definitely a refresh going on. The new Classic is likely a different blade to the old one, due to this new technology. That said, I still don't think the Classic and the DuraSharp are the same, but probably start out the same ... just finished differently, like the DuraSharp getting a better grind or a double strop or something like.

Test done. Results as expected :) New pack treet classics (hi tech steel) is definitely a carbon too. This rust was produced in one night in my bathroom...

IMG_20211026_073421_resize_33.jpg

Carbon it is, then ... still. Good investigation. I think the repackaging is in reflection of some new process ... or just a refresh.

Treet do make an economy stainless, a rather thin blade labelled 'New Steel' (see left in the picture below), but I bought a pack of "New Treet Double Edge Blades" (on the right) thinking it was a repackaging of the Black Beauty to find the blade is the same as the 'New Steel'. I think the pack on the right is aimed at the economy end of the market as well (perhaps a different country) and intended as a stainless equivalent of the Classic.

AM-JKLU_DKUgXU0QIipiUyT-y3VSHBjeNBjovChf9Hadwbt6nRKea4sTYTBboGdYDHEybEhq1cBq9JFXwycz-YQimWxgo3utbgf-0PMKDRvrJwiaGdglFZkVPrJkYPfzb5EE4YTwQ-NXoviPLqTllA7Sn2yMiA=w800

I absolutely agree ... comparing the Treet Classic (that I had) against the DuraSharp. Completely different. But, look at the two packs above. I've not used the new style pack so can't comment on the actual shave, but I think there's definitely a refresh going on. The new Classic is likely a different blade to the old one, due to this new technology. That said, I still don't think the Classic and the DuraSharp are the same, but probably start out the same ... just finished differently, like the DuraSharp getting a better grind or a double strop or something like.
Actually, I do have a pack of this new style of Classic blade ("Hi-Tech ..." no mention of carbon) and I have used one (well, a half in a Yaqi Katana) and my notes say "Gosh! Miles smoother than I thought it would be ... definitely sharp, but not as refined as the DuraSharp (Yellow)". I didn't note that it "felt Russian" which I did for the Silver, meaning it had more of a stainless feel ... so I am going to say that I didn't think it was anything other than carbon at the time.

Actually, I do have a pack of this new style of Classic blade ("Hi-Tech ..." no mention of carbon) and I have used one (well, a half in a Yaqi Katana) and my notes say "Gosh! Miles smoother than I thought it would be ... definitely sharp, but not as refined as the DuraSharp (Yellow)". I didn't note that it "felt Russian" which I did for the Silver, meaning it had more of a stainless feel ... so I am going to say that I didn't think it was anything other than carbon at the time.

The next days I am going to do my personal more detailed 1:1 comparison between the durasharp yellow and the classics to end up which one my face actually prefers for a daily DE shave. And then buy a whole sheet of the winner... :) I can get 3 comfortable shaves from both

I spend a good few weeks comparing all the SuperMax blades that I could lay my hands on. One of my conclusions was that the stainless blades were the same regardless of packaging, but ... one but ... the "Economy Stainless" pack felt just a mere click under the rest of the "Super Stainless" packs but came to the same kind of feel by the second and certainly the third shave. My thought was that the packs aimed at home shavers rather than Barbers were perhaps double stropped or comfort coated to be a smoother experience from the first shave.

Perhaps the Classic and the DuraSharp have this sort of relationship.

Yes, please! Post up your thoughts on side-by-side comparison. What if you shaved half of your face with a Classic and the other half with a DuraSharp, so both blades were used one the same day with the same prep and software?

Apologies for butting in gents but are these DuraSharp blades really good? Since starting off this mad DE journey in 2012, I’ve never actually tried any Treet blades. What would be folks idea of the best selection? I see they do a 7 days version. Thank you in advance.

Apologies for butting in gents but are these DuraSharp blades really good? Since starting off this mad DE journey in 2012, I’ve never actually tried any Treet blades. What would be folks idea of the best selection? I see they do a 7 days version. Thank you in advance.
Treet 7 Days is a really top-tier blade. While the regular Platinum can be accused of being on the less sharp side, the 7 Days cannot - it's a really good one. It will do 7 Days, too. I'd advise that one ... and the DuraSharp yellow, which is still their best carbon blade. If you find you like either or both of these, try the regular Platinum blade - it's my absolute favourite. Have fun!

I have used a number of a Treet blades, I think they are all pretty good. The Treet 7 Days is very sharp, one of the sharpest blades I have used. The Yellow Dura Sharp is the pick of their Carbon Steel blades I have used. I never really got on with the Treet Platinum, but many here really rate it, maybe it's one I should revisit.

Back
Top Bottom