Top lip barbershop result

I am still having issues with getting the kind of smooth shave I get from a DE on my lip and chin because I am finding it impossible to do a safe against the grain shave. I am tending to therefore just do cheeks and a downward pass on my (sensitive) neck (which is all i do with a DE anyway) on my neck.

I want to use my straights more but I am stll finding a DE more comfortable and effective:any suggestions? I have read tutorials from the likes of whipped dog but they advocate across the grain only on lip and chin. That does not get close enough for me.

I only shave WTG in those areas and mine is smooth. As a warning, just the other day I had an ingrown hair right below my lower lip on the right side that festered and I had to extract it. It was a result of getting too carried away with a new blade.
The toughest place to get to on my face is right under my nose and admittedly I keep a modern single blade disposable handy for touch ups there a few times per week as it can cause great irritation going over that area repeatedly with a DE and trying to wedge it in.

I wouldn't fret over it to be frank.

Honesty is the best policy...I use my gillette guard ocassionally during the week in the top lip area, i do however shave ATG with my DE too, but very lightly..When i shave i don't try to get a Glass smooth BBS finish i go for a good smooth shave with no irritation, why should i nick myself, just to say i can go "ATG" in the top lip area, most of the time i can use my DE ,but i still use my Gillette guard as a back up...It's not a shaving sin to still use disposible razors once in a while...Psst "don't tell anyone i do though.".Regards
PS: Get yourself a pack of these for a backup..i consider these one of the best SE disposable razors...wonderful for travelling & holidays. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Lite blade pressure, for that against the grain, or in fact use lite pressure, the whole way around.