Too little pressure

I know you should use very little pressure when DE shaving, but when I use just the weight of the razor "Rockwell 6C' I find the razor seems to tug/bounce on the beard growth and is uncomfortable. I have tried a variety of different blades but its the same with all of them so far. Any thoughts or advice?

I know you should use very little pressure when DE shaving, but when I use just the weight of the razor "Rockwell 6C' I find the razor seems to tug/bounce on the beard growth and is uncomfortable. I have tried a variety of different blades but its the same with all of them so far. Any thoughts or advice?
Providing you have the angles right you may need to use a little pressure, enough to prevent bouncing across your skin, not too much, just enough! :)

Paul.

Don't try too hard and find the angle which works best. I tend to find a little pressure without being too aggressive about it usually helps. There is also a lot to be said for preparation, getting your skin well hydrated and your lather correct.

Stick with it and with a little patience it will all click in to place.

What soap are you using? Some soaps don't have enough glide and can cause a razor to skitter. I'd guess that would be exacerbated by an ultra-light touch.
Currently using TOB sensitive cream it's very slick. Takes a good hot water rinse after I shave to get rid of that residual then a good splash of cold water.

I was using a Merkur 34c and was having a nightmare with ingrown hairs, changed to the Rockwell 6C and started off on plate 1 and the ingrown hairs basically went away after about 2months but was still left with plenty of growth after a 2 pass wtg. Moved up to plate 2 about a month ago a closer shave but still left with slight stubble but a good shave and was having no problems until I noticed a few ingrown hairs appearing again. I am certinally not using too much pressure it could be the opposite. Its difficult to figure out lol

I am thinking your blade angle is too steep hence the problem with scraping rather than cutting. Try a blade angle nearer to 30 degress. These illustrations may help;
shallow angle.jpgsteep angle.jpg

I would agree with the Merkur I could scrap if I was using too steep an angle, but I find with the Rockwell its very difficult not to have the right angle because of the head design. You would need to be badly off or applying a lot of pressure to scrap, hence the vast improvement since starting using it. It could be my skin or applying too little pressure and tugging hair follicles, its tuff to know.

I am thinking your blade angle is too steep hence the problem with scraping rather than cutting. Try a blade angle nearer to 30 degress. These illustrations may help;
View attachment 66223View attachment 66224
Indeed!

To find the bite, put the cap directly onto the face with the handle sticking straight out perpendicular and then lower the angle of the handle until the blade just catches. Drop the angle just a little more and that's the angle. Some razors have a finer angle than others.

Instinctively, a lot of a folks try to get the guard into play and start out with the angle on the right, trying to find the blade the other way. If you drive a car, it's like trying to find the clutch bite point on the downward stroke - you can only find it when bringing your foot up. The blade angle can only be found correctly from the cap down, not the guard up. Many folks who complain of rough or bloody shaves are often starting with the angle on the right.

Back
Top Bottom